Guyer defense clutch in 2OT win over Hebron

ARLINGTON, Texas -– Denton Guyer did everything that usually costs a team a game.

The Wildcats committed an atrocious 19 penalties for 130 yards, many of which single-handedly killed offensive possessions.

They missed a chip-shot field goal at the end of regulation that would have won the game. They had an extra point blocked in the second overtime that gave Hebron an opening to win it with a walk-off extra point.

But Guyer came up with several clutch defensive stops, including on Hebron's last possession, that helped it overcome its mistakes in a 41-35 double-overtime win Saturday at Cowboys Stadium in the Class 5A Division II bi-district round.

Guyer (8-3) advances to play Mansfield (10-1) at 8 p.m. Saturday at Cowboys Stadium.

"I was in a good mood until the camera guy told me we had 19 penalties," said Guyer head coach John Walsh. "That's a tough stat to swallow whether you win or lose, but this program has seen it all and almost done it all in a short period of time. We don't panic. We expect to win at critical times."

Hebron (6-5) had two chances to win the game at the end of the fourth quarter. The Hawks went for it on fourth-and-3 at the Guyer 12-yard line with less than six minutes left and failed to convert.

Following a Guyer three-and-out, the Hawks went for it on fourth-and-3 again at the Guyer 38 with less than two minutes remaining.

Running back Dezmond Wortham, who rushed for 100 yards and three touchdowns, appeared to get the first down by reaching for the marker, but he was ruled down well short of it.

"If you're going to win trophies and be a championship ballclub, your defense has to make big time stops and they did tonight," Walsh said.

The stop left an opening for Guyer, which marched down to the 9-yard line with one second left in regulation, but the ensuing 26-yard field goal attempt clanged off the left upright, sending it to overtime.

"When our kicker missed that field goal, we knew we were going to come back and be able to finish it out," said Guyer receiver Conner Crane, who had five receptions for 125 yards and two touchdowns. "We stayed positive the whole time."

Wortham and Dominic Romacher scored in the first overtime for Herbon and Guyer, respectively. Sebastain Williams, who rushed for 123 yards, scored his third touchdown in the second overtime, but Hebron's Deatrich Wise blocked the extra point.

But Guyer's defense came through again, forcing a three-and-out to win the game.

"This is the best game I've played in," Crane said. "When we had to make big plays, we made them."

Guyer didn't have any trouble moving the ball against a Hebron defense that played well all year. The Wildcats racked up 554 total yards of offense and may have handily won the game in regulation had it not be for countless untimely penalties.

"The penalties got to go or we're going to be at Thanksgiving at everybody's homes," Walsh said.

Guyer scored on each of its first three posessions of the game to take a 21-7 lead in the second quarter, but it gave Hebron 30 yards in penalties on the next drive to set up a Hebron touchdown. The Hawks executed a masterful final drive of the second quarter to tie it at 21 at halftime.

Hebron took the lead on a 64-yard pass play from Joseph Farley to Tavion Pearson in the third quarter, and Crane set up the last-second dramatics with a 34-yard touchdown reception to open the fourth quarter.