Colorado Rapids vs FC Dallas
8 PM CT, Pizza Hut Park
Fox Soccer Channel
- 6:00 p.m. March to the Match tailgate at Londoner Frisco
- FREE 22 oz FCD Beer Mugs for the first 1,500 & specials at the Londoner
- 6:30 p.m. Pizza Hut Park gates open with Happy Hour featuring $2 12 oz beers, $4 'ritas and $4 wine available at the Beer Garden
- PLUS! Bring your FCD Beer Mug and receive $5 drafts at the Beer Garden (through halftime) and $2 sodas at stadium concession stands during the entire match.
- Scarfing ceremony led by supporters and Oscar Pareja
Join the FCD Supporters during the 19th minute for 96 seconds of chanting. Chanting will start with "I Believe in FCD" followed by "Dallas 'Til I Die" and conclude with "FC Dallas Ole Ole Ole"
Bobby Rhine's game preview...
REFEREE: Paul Ward. SAR (bench):
Joe Fletcher; JAR (opposite):
4th: Armando Villarreal
MLS Career: 27 games; FC/gm: 23.5; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 8; pens: 6
FC DALLAS – OUT: DF Kyle Davies (L ankle surgery recovery); DF Edson Edward (R knee ACL tear); QUESTIONABLE: DF Jair Benitez (L hamstring strain)
COLORADO RAPIDS – OUT: FW Macoumba Kandji (L knee ACL tear); FW Conor Casey (L hamstring strain); PROBABLE: GK Matt Pickens (R groin strain); DF Kosuke Kimura (L hand strain)
DAL: Moises Hernandez (U.S. U-20s)
SUSPENDED: DAL: Jackson Goncalves (through April 10)
ALL-TIME (51 meetings):
FC Dallas 24 wins (2 shootout), 84 goals …
Rapids 17 wins (1 shootout), 63 goals … Ties 10
AT DALLAS (20 meetings):
FC Dallas 17 wins (2 shootout), 49 goals …
Rapids 5 wins (1 shootout), 26 goals … Ties 4
RETURN MATCH: 10/1 Colorado Rapids vs. FC Dallas, 7 p.m. MT
LAST YEAR (MLS):
7/31: COL 1, DAL 1 (Ballouchy 26 – own goal 22)
10/9: DAL 2, COL 2 (Rodriguez 27; Ferreira 37 – Larentowicz 13, 51)
The game is a rematch of MLS Cup 2010, won 2-1 by the Rapids in extra time at Toronto’s BMO Field. The teams played to draws in both league meetings last season.
The Rapids last came away with a victory from Pizza Hut Park in 2008.
FC Dallas lost for the second consecutive weekend, going down in a 2-0 defeat to the Columbus Crew in their first road game, last Friday evening. FCD has 1 point from 3 games on the season, sitting in a three-way tie at the foot of the Western Conference.
FCD TEAM NEWS
- FC Dallas has just 1 point from 3 matches. But they got off to a slow start a year ago – opening 1-4-0, and winning just twice in the first 19 games – before reeling off a 19-game league unbeaten streak.
- FCD has seen two players sent off in the first three games, playing a man down for the final 57 minutes Friday after Jackson was booked twice in two minutes.
- “We need to finish the game with 11 people on the field,” Hyndman said to the Dallas Morning News. “That would certainly be beneficial to our cause. It’s very, very difficult to get a bead on the team’s performance level when you play shorthanded so often.”
- There will be another shakeup on the backline with Jackson suspended for the Colorado match. Brek Shea was sent off in the opening game of the season.
- “The word I use is emotional intelligence,” Hyndman said. “Jackson had two yellow cards within a minute. That’s not the way you want it to be. He really made it difficult on the rest of the team. I was happy with the way the game was going up to that time.”
- Colombian youth international Fabian Castillo made his first MLS start, along with homegrown product Ruben Luna. They joined a starting lineup that also included a 21-year-old Shea and 22-year-old Jackson.
- “You want to get young guys out there. You want to give them opportunities,” said Hyndman. “Castillo had some very good moments and I thought Ruben played well, especially in the second half. It’s not those two guys that are hurting the team. I think the more established players can help a little bit more by calming things down, but for FC Dallas, it was a very disappointing night and you didn’t see a lot of very good soccer.”
- FC Dallas has now been shut out in back-to-back games and gone 252 minutes since scoring their lone goal of the season.
- 2010 MLS MVP David Ferreira is “a marked man,” Hyndman said. “It’s just not one player after him. The whole team is trying to shut him down. He or a player on the ball has to be protected.”
- The Colorado Rapids remain the only team with a perfect record after three games following a 4-1 win against D.C. United last Sunday evening at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The Rapids have 9 points from 3 games and lead the Western Conference by two points ahead of the LA Galaxy.
RAPIDS TEAM NEWS
- Newcomer Caleb Folan, acquired from Hull City in England just before the start of the season, overcame an ankle injury that kept him out of full training during the week to score his first two MLS goals.
- "I'm not sure (Folan) could have wished for a better home debut," Gary Smith said. "I'm not sure I could have. I think he's just started to show what he is capable of. He's a big, strong, athletic lad, and we've seen that he can score goals as well."
- Although Conor Casey was still slowed by a calf injury that put him on the substitutes’ bench the week before at Chivas USA, he started ahead of Omar Cummings, who was coming off international duty.
- However, Casey was forced off early in the second half with Cummings coming on in his place – and Cummings scored his first goal of the season. Casey suffered a hamstring injury that will put him out of action for 2-4 weeks.
- The strike pair of Casey and Cummings that has led the Rapids for the past three seasons has played together for just an hour this season, in the season opener. With Casey hurt and Cummings away with Jamaica for the Chivas game, Smith ran out a makeshift partnership of Caleb Folan and Quincy Amarikwa
- “Having just the two forwards is not enough,” Gary Smith said. “We need more competition.”
- The Rapids are the only team remaining with 9 points from 3 matches. Real Salt Lake, who had last weekend off, is the only other club left with a perfect record (2-0-0).