ARLINGTON, Texas -- Here are some interesting numbers to chew on before we get things going (thanks to ESPN Stats & Info and Rangers media relations):
* This is the Rangers' 40th season in Arlington. They are 19-20 overall on Opening Day and have won two straight, including the walk-off win over Toronto at home last season.
* This is the third time the Rangers have opened against the Red Sox, both previous times in Arlington. Texas won 5-3 in 1996 with Ken Hill getting a win over Roger Clemens. The Rangers lost, 7-3, in 2006 with Curt Schilling getting the best of Kevin Millwood.
* The Rangers have played just one previous Opening Day games on Friday. Taht was 1976, when Gaylord Perry pitched a complete game in a 2-1 win in the 11th inning (Toby Harrah got the winning hit).
* Texas has five players on the Opening Day roster for the first time: Derek Holland, Mitch Moreland, Alexi Ogando, Pedtro Strop and Mason Tobin. Of that group, only Tobin has yet to make his Major League debut.
* This is the eighth time Darren Oliver has appeared on the Texas Opening Day roster.
* Look out for Michael Young today. He's 6-for-13 with a double, homer and 2 RBIs in the last three openers.
* Young starts at DH, meaning four of his Opening Day starts have occurred at different positions. Young will be one shy of Ivan Rodriguez’s franchise record of 11 straight Opening Day starts. Young is fourth in franchise history in games played with 1,508.