DETROIT -- Manager Ron Washington made a host of changes to his lineup for Game 3 of the AL Championship Series in an effort to get certain players in the game and others a break.
Washington said he wanted to get Murphy and first baseman Mitch Moreland a day off and give Young a chance to play the field.
The changes serve a variety of purposes. Among them:
* Young, normally a DH, gets into the field. He's hitting just .130 this postseason (3-for-23).
"All Mike's been doing since we started these playoffs is DH," Washington said. "I needed to get him engaged. It might jumpstart his bat a little more instead of always thinking about hitting. It gets him a little more involved."
* Chavez gets in his first postseason game. "My gut tells me I need to play Endy tonight," Washington said. Chavez gets his left-handed bat against RHP Doug Fister will play left field and Washington decided to leave Josh Hamilton in center in spacious Comerica Park.
* Moreland, who has struggled in the 2011 playoffs with a 2-for-17 mark (.118) that included three strikeouts and a 3-2-3 double play with the bases loaded in the ninth of Game 3, gets some rest. Washington stressed that it was more about playing Young in the field and shifting the catchers than it was Moreland.
* Murphy, hitting .231 in the playoffs, also gets a break for a day. "I wanted to give these guys a chance," Washington said. "They helped us get where we are."
* Torrealba hasn't played at all in the postseason. He'll be behind the plate with Colby Lewis on the mound.