Injury bug bites four Rangers on Wednesday

ARLINGTON, Texas -- It was not a fun day for the Texas Rangers' training staff. They were as busy as they've been all season.

By the time the Rangers had collected their 85th win with a 5-2 victory over the Cleveland Indians, four Rangers players had joined the injury report. How long they remain there will likely be determined in the next few days.

Adrian Beltre and Josh Hamilton were the headliners. Hamilton came out with a sore left knee, though manager Ron Washington said it was "nothing serious." But Beltre exited the game with a left shoulder sprain. He stayed in the game after suffering the injury diving to a ball to his left in the second inning. After he walked in the third, Washington and head athletic trainer Jamie Reed came out to talk to him. At that point, Beltre was able to talk the skipper into leaving him in. But in the fifth, Washington sent Mike Olt out in Beltre's place.

Beltre was scheduled to have an MRI on Wednesday night. Results won't be known until Thursday.

"He's going to argue down to the last second to stay in the game," teammate David Murphy said. "I'm sure he could have stayed in the game, but obviously we had the lead. He's an important part of our team going forward, so why take a chance?"

Olt hit a ground ball in the seventh and halfway down the first base line felt his right heel bothering him. He limped to the bag and came out. Olt has been dealing with plantar fasciitis the past few weeks. He'll have an MRI on Thursday to figure out what's going on.

"Obviously, this isn't the way I want to start my career," said Olt, who was playing in just his fourth game of the club's past 18. "They said maybe this is the best thing that could have happened to it. I'll get an MRI and see what happens."

Before Wednesday's game, Mike Adams said he felt some tightness in a muscle in his shoulder and won't pitch for a few days. He said he didn't feel anything in warmups, but once the game started he felt it.

"Very rarely do you pitch completely fine, but last night was a little bit more than I’m used to," Adams said. "It was bothering me significantly enough that I couldn’t finish my pitches. Last night, nothing was flowing the way it should have."

Now all the Rangers can do is wait and hope that none of the injuries prove to be serious. They've got less than three weeks until the regular season ends.