SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Unlike the rest of the starting pitchers, Colby Lewis will throw just one inning in his first Cactus League start today. Rangers manager Ron Washington said that's by design as the club slowly gets Lewis ready for the season following his hip surgery last year.
"We want Colby to be here all year," Washington said. "We'll ramp him up how feel he should be ramped up."
And that's cautiously. The Rangers don't want to take any chances with Lewis, who has been throwing well and feeling good this camp.
Other injury updates:
* RF Shin-Soo Choo is in the lineup today after dealing with what the club described as "spring training arm."
* SS Elvis Andrus (flexor tendinitis) is playing catch.
* LHP Matt Harrison (back) is scheduled to throw off a half-mound today.
* RHP Rafael Perez (hamstring strain) is expected to pitch an inning in Tuesday's Cactus League game.
* RHP Nick Tepesch (back) is scheduled to pitch two innings today.
* RHP Miles Mikolas (sore elbow) is progressing in throwing program
* RHP Shawn Tolleson (sore back) is progressing in throwing program.