Every Sunday we’ll have a Minor League Report where we’ll update you on what’s happening down on the farm with the Texas Rangers.
Triple-A Round Rock: On Saturday night, RHP Luke Jackson earned his first win at Triple-A in a victor over Colorado Springs. Jackson threw 81 pitches in his longest outing (5 2/3 innings) in five starts. He allowed three runs on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Jackson’s previous start was difficult. He gave up a season-high seven hits and six runs in 3 1/3 innings in a no-decision at Oklahoma City. In the minors, Jackson is 9-2 with a 3.88 ERA.
* RHP Phil Irwin has 27 K in his last four starts
* DH/C Tomas Tellis hit.462 in a six-game hitting streak.
* RHP Phil Klein hasn’t allowed run in the last 32.1 innings, with the lsat 15.2 coming in Round Rock. Opponents are hitting .127 against him.
* Newly acquired RHP Spencer Patton has one save and hasn’t given up a run in four innings.
Double-A Frisco: DH/3B Joey Gallo is hitting .314 last 10 games. However he’s got 135 strikeouts in the minors in 336 at bats with a minor-league leading 35 home runs. Gallo, one of the prized minor leaguers, had a slash line of .277/.365/.599 by the middle of last week.
* C J.T. Wise is hitting.304 with 11 RBI in 12 games with the Riders.
* 2B Odubel Herrera picked up a hit in eight of nine games (.492). During a double-header, Herera went 3-for-6 with two walks, a double, stolen base and four runs scored.
* LHP Will Lame picked up a five-out save and had nine scoreless innings for the RoughRiders.
* LHP Alex Claudio earned his first quality start in a win on July 20 over Corpus Christi. Claudio had an ERA of 2.08 over his last five starts since a promotion from Myrtle Beach.
A pair of right fielders have hit well. Nomar Mazara of Hickory hit .441 over a nine-game stretch. Luke Tendler had a 13-game hit streak ongoing for Spokane, the longest in the Northwest League.
* Second baseman Seth Spivey leads the Northwest league with a .366 BA.
* DH Lewis Brinson has a hit in nine of 11 games for Myrtle Beach.
* LHP Chad James allowed six runs and two home runs in his second start in a loss to Frederick for Myrtle Beach.
* Arizona RHP Luis Ortiz has eight scores innings with nine strikeouts in four games/three starts. Opponents are hitting .185.
* RHP Ryan Bores had his longest outing of the season between Myrtle Beach and Frisco. He went six innings and allowed six runs, three earned in a loss to Salem.