There has been a change of plans for featherweight titlist Orlando Salido (38-11-2, 26 KOs). Sean Gibbons, Salido's manager, said in an email to me on Wednesday that although Salido will still fight a nontitle bout at junior lightweight on July 28 in Mexico, Zanfer Promotions has moved the fight from Ciudad Obregon (Salido's hometown) to Chihuahua and, instead of facing Oscar Bravo (20-3, 9 KOs) of Chile, Salido will face Moises Gutierrez (21-4, 8 KOs), also from Chile.
Gibbons said Bravo dropped out because of an injury. Last July, Gutierrez lost a six-round split decision to Bravo, but he has won five fights in a row since.
If Salido wins, Gibbons said the next move remains a likely fall title defense against Miguel Angel "Mikey" Garcia (28-0, 24 KOs), a fight Top Rank is anxious to put on. Garcia probably will have a tuneup fight on the Salido-Gutierrez undercard, according to Top Rank matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman.
The proposed Salido-Garcia fight was slated to be on Showtime in October, but the network took the date away from Top Rank as retribution for its decision to put on the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. HBO PPV fight on Sept. 15 because junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is scheduled to fight an opponent to be determined on the same night on Showtime (or possibly sister network CBS).
Salido's two memorable slugfests with Juan Manuel Lopez were two of Showtime's best fights in 2011 and so far in 2012. If Salido-Garcia is finalized, it could wind up on HBO or on a pay-per-view undercard.