<
>

Oquendo re-signs with Golden Boy Promotions

Jonathan Oquendo, right, won a majority decision over Jhonny Gonzalez on Sept. 12 in Las Vegas. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Junior lightweight Jonathan Oquendo has re-signed with Golden Boy Promotions, the company announced on Tuesday.

Oquendo (26-4, 16 KOs), 32, of Puerto Rico, is coming off the biggest win of his career -- by far. He exchanged early knockdowns with former two-division titlist Jhonny Gonzalez and went on to win a majority decision on the Floyd Mayweather-Andre Berto undercard Sept. 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"Golden Boy Promotions has always been fair with me and they've given me all the opportunities I've hoped for over the years," Oquendo said. “They are family and I am glad to have them on my side as I look to continue my dream to become a world champion."

Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya said he was happy to welcome Oquendo back to the fold after having promoted him in years past.

"We've had a long relationship with Jonathan and are thrilled to welcome him back as he continues his journey to becoming a world champion," De La Hoya said. “Jonathan's win over Jhonny Gonzalez showed just how dangerous he is to all titleholders at 126 and 130 pounds. Talent and experience are both crucially important at this level, and Jonathan has both."

Oquendo’s win over Gonzalez might be even more satisfying to De La Hoya because Gonzalez left the company on bad terms earlier this year. In March, Golden Boy sued Gonzalez, claiming it still had a valid contract with him. The next day, Gonzalez lost his featherweight world title by knockout to Gary Russell Jr.