When former middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik formally notified promoter Top Rank on Tuesday that he was waiving his contractual option for an immediate rematch with Sergio Martinez and moving up in weight, the decision obviously impacted Martinez.
Pavlik will move up to super middleweight or light heavyweight and probably return in the fall to face nobody in particular before looking for a bigger fight in early 2011.
The move also opened the door for other fights for Martinez, who took Pavlik's 160-pound belts in a masterful performance on April 17.
Martinez was in Puerto Rico with adviser Sampson Lewkowicz on Tuesday, visiting with WBO officials and receiving his new title belt a few days after he had been in Mexico receiving his WBC version of the title.
Martinez was in a good mood and was finishing a nice Italian dinner with Lewkowicz when we spoke. The fighter was a little bit disappointed that Pavlik passed on the rematch.
"It was really a rematch I would love to do," Martinez said. "I was a little bit upset because it won't happen again. That was a little disappointing because I felt like this time I could knock him out. I understand and had no problem with it, but I would have liked to have the rematch with Pavlik."
With his options now open, Martinez said he will weigh whether to remain at middleweight and defend his belts or return to junior middleweight, where he is also a world champion.
Nice problem to have, isn't it?
Martinez said he is open to either division.
"It all depends on my management and promoter [Lou DiBella] and what they can bring to the table," he said. "Whoever they bring, I will fight them. Either division would be OK."
Martinez does have one possible opponent in mind, whom he would understandably love to fight because it would mean big money.
"Somebody asked me if I would like to fight Floyd Mayweather," Martinez said. "If Mayweather decides to fight me, I will accept any catchweight that he wants between 154 and 160 pounds. We can fight for whichever titles he wants. For me, it would be an honor to fight the best fighter in the world, and that's Mayweather. He's the king."
If talks between Mayweather's camp and the camp of Manny Pacquiao don't pan out -- which would be a total bummer, because it is by far the biggest fight in boxing -- Mayweather stepping up one division or possibly two to challenge Martinez would certainly be interesting.
Lewkowicz said Pavlik's decision didn't totally catch them by surprise, but they haven't really had time to give serious thought to what's next. Lewkowicz said the only key was that Martinez fight again sometime in the September to November time frame.
"Whatever HBO and his management will bring to the table, he will fight," Lewkowicz said. "It's going to be up to HBO to see what fight they want to buy. The decision on who he fights will depend on the challenger available, but he will defend one of his titles."