Juan Carlos Burgos has had one title shot so far, but lost that featherweight challenge to Hozumi Hasegawa by decision in a terrific 2010 battle.
Since then, Burgos moved up to junior lightweight and stamped himself as a quality contender in that weight class by winning five fights in a row, including handing Luis Cruz (W10) and Cesar Vazquez (TKO3) their first professional defeats.
Mexico’s Burgos (30-1, 20 KOs) is ready to fight for a world title again and he will get the shot as the mandatory challenger for 130-pound titlist Roman “Rocky” Martinez of Puerto Rico.
According to Burgos’ co-promoters, Banner Promotions and Thompson Boxing, the WBO has ordered Martinez to make the mandatory defense against Burgos next.
Martinez (26-1-1, 16 KOs) claimed the vacant belt via split decision victory against Mexico’s Miguel Beltran Jr. in a slugfest that served as the HBO PPV co-feature to the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. middleweight championship fight on Sept. 15.
"I am ready for Rocky Martinez,” Burgos said. “He showed his ability on his fight against Beltran Jr., and was the deserving of the title. But I'm ready to challenge him for it.”
Burgos said he would get the job done this time after falling short against Hasegawa.
"I won't let this one get away from me,” he said. “I want to fulfill my destiny with the WBO belt around my waist. I just need to know the date so I can prepare to go to war with Martinez.”
Burgos’ knockout of Vazquez on ESPN2 in July was as impressive as any of his recent wins.
“Juan Carlos has shown that he is more than ready for this opportunity,” Banner Promotions chief Artie Pelullo said. “He has defeated the best at 130 pounds and we are very confident that he will defeat Martinez in what should be a fabulous fight. This will be another classic fight between Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters.”