Sampson Boxing wins purse bids

The first two purse bids of the year were held Wednesday at the IBF offices in Springfield, N.J., and Sampson Lewkowicz’s Sampson Boxing won both auctions for the same price.

• Sampson Boxing won the purse bid for the vacant junior featherweight title bout between Mexico’s Alejandro Lopez (24-2, 7 KOs) and Colombia’s Jhonatan Romero (22-0, 12 KOs) with an offer of $132,000, beating Gary Shaw’s bid of $122,200.

The fighters are each entitled to 50 percent of the winning bid --$66,000. No date or site is set, but Sampson Boxing has 90 days to put on the bout. They will be fighting for the belt Nonito Donaire vacated in October.

• Sampson Boxing also won the purse bid for junior flyweight titlist Johnriel Casimero’s mandatory defense against Luis Alberto Rios (18-1-1, 13 KOs) of Panama. The winning bid was also $132,000, which beat the only other bid of $95,000 offered by Promociones y Eventos Del Istmo. As the titleholder, the Philippines’ Casimero (17-2, 10 KOs), Lewkowicz’s fighter, is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($99,000) with Rios getting the remaining 25 percent ($33,000).

Lewkowicz told ESPN.com that the fight will take place March 16. He said there are three potential sites – the Philippines, Panama or Las Vegas.