Some updates on notable fights and fighters:
• Lightweight Anthony Peterson (32-1, 21 KOs) was penciled in to fight Jan. 25 in his hometown of Washington, D.C., on the undercard of his brother and junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson’s defense against Dierry Jean. However, Golden Boy said that Peterson is off the show after declining to accept the offer for the untelevised bout against an opponent to be determined. Peterson, once a rising 135-pound contender, has only fought twice since a seventh-round disqualification loss to Brandon Rios in September 2010.
• Middleweight Esquiva Falcao, the 2012 Olympic silver medalist for Brazil who recently signed with Top Rank, will make his professional debut Feb. 15 (UniMas) in Hawaiian Gardens, Calif. Falcao will box in a six-round bout against an opponent to be named. Junior lightweight contender Diego Magdaleno (24-1, 9 KOs) headlines the card against an opponent to be determined.
• Strawweight titlist Hekkie Budler (24-1, 7 KOs) of South Africa, recently elevated from an interim to full titleholder when Ryo Miyazaki vacated to move up in weight, will headline a card in Johannesburg on Feb. 15. Budler will defend against Karluis Diaz (21-4, 14 KOs) of Colombia, Golden Gloves promoter Rodney Berman announced.
• Puerto Rican middleweight Jonathan Gonzalez (17-0-1, 14 KOs) will face Norberto Gonzalez (20-2, 13 KOs) of Mexico in the 10-round main event of ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” on Feb. 7 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Warriors Boxing promoter Leon Margules announced. In the co-feature, featherweight prospect Kamil Laszczyk (15-0, 7 KOs) of Poland will face Nicaragua's Daniel Diaz (20-5-1, 14 KOs). Mike Tyson-promoted 18-year-old welterweight prospect Erickson Lubin (2-0, 2 KOs), a 2012 National Golden Gloves champion, will open the card.
• Junior welterweight Fidel Maldonado Jr. (17-2, 14 KOs) and former junior lightweight titlist Steve Forbes (35-12, 11 KOs), who long ago became a stepping-stone opponent, will square off Feb. 10 (Fox Sports 1/Fox Deportes) at Cowboys Dancehall in San Antonio, Golden Boy announced. In the co-feature, welterweight prospect Errol Spence Jr. (10-0, 8 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian, will fight his first scheduled 10-round fight. No opponent yet.