D. Magdaleno takes Avalos' spot

Junior featherweight Chris Avalos, of Lancaster, Calif., was due to fight in the main event of Top Rank’s “Solo Boxeo” card on UniMas on Feb. 15, but was taken off the card so he would be available for a world title eliminator.

The purse bid for that eliminator against Rey Vargas (18-0, 15 KOs) of Mexico took place Tuesday and Top Rank, the only bidder, won with an offer of $25,000. Avalos (23-2, 17 KOs), the higher-ranked fighter in the IBF ratings, is entitled to 60 percent of the money ($15,000), with Vargas due the remaining 40 percent ($10,000).

Top Rank has 90 days to put on the bout, which will produce the mandatory challenger for the 122-pound title held by Kiko Martinez of Spain.

However, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said that based on what he hears, Vargas won’t take the fight.

“We won the purse bid, we have followed the IBF procedures and sent out a bout contract,” Moretti said. “We expect it to be signed, but if it’s not, we will inform the IBF and move forward with their next available contender. But we believe Vargas won’t take the fight.”

Once Avalos was taken off the Feb. 15 card, Top Rank moved Las Vegas junior lightweight contender Diego Magdaleno (24-1, 9 KOs) into the main event of the show that will take place at the C. Robert Lee Activity Center in Hawaiian Gardens, Calif. Magdaleno, a 27-year-old southpaw, will face the Philippines’ Ernie Sanchez (14-5, 5 KOs), 22, in a scheduled 10-round lightweight fight.

Magdaleno is seeking his second win a row since dropping a split decision in a world title challenge to then-titleholder Rocky Martinez in Macau last April. Sanchez has lost two decisions in a row, including to Vargas in December.

Opening the telecast will be the pro debut of 2012 Olympic silver medalist Esquiva Falcao of Brazil, who will face Paul Harness (4-4-1, 3 KOs) in a six-round super middleweight bout.

On the untelevised portion of the card, Las Vegas junior featherweight Jessie Magdaleno (17-0, 13 KOs), Diego’s 22-year-old brother and one of boxing’s elite prospects, takes on Mexico’s Roberto Castaneda (20-5-1, 15 KOs) in a scheduled eight-rounder.