<
>

Arroyo's title shot likely in Thailand

Puerto Rican flyweight contender McWilliams Arroyo is probably headed to Thailand for his shot at a world title against Amnat Ruenroeng.

Ruenroeng promoter Jimmy’s Boxing won an IBF purse bid for $202,000 to gain control of the bout on Tuesday. The only other bidder, Golden Boy Promotions, offered $70,150.

As titleholder, Thailand’s Ruenroeng is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($151,500) while Arroyo is due the remaining 25 percent ($50,500). Jimmy’s Boxing has 90 days to put the fight on.

Ruenroeng (13-0, 5 KOs), 34, will be making his second title defense following an impressive first defense, a split decision victory against Japanese star and two-division titlist Kazuto Ioka on May 7 in Japan.

On June 19, Arroyo (15-1, 13 KOs), 28, a 2008 Olympian and 2009 world amateur champion, drilled Froilan Saludar in a second-round knockout victory in the title eliminator that earned him the mandatory shot at Ruenroeng.