Three weeks ago, lightweight Luke Campbell, a 2012 British Olympic gold medalist on a collision course with pal and fellow Hull, England, product Tommy Coyle, withdrew from a March 7 card in their hometown meant to serve as a prelude to their planned summer showdown.
The reason Campbell dropped out of his fight against Gary Sykes was because his father is in poor health and had been moved to a hospice facility after having been in intensive care.
But on Wednesday, Campbell announced that he had changed his mind and Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn put him back on the card, although rather than facing Sykes he will face an opponent to be determined in an eight-round bout.
Even after he withdrew from the bout, Campbell (9-0, 7 KOs), 27, continued to train and said he wants to fight for his father.
“After talking with my dad and my family I've decided to box on March 7,” Campbell said. “It's been a difficult time for me but everyone wants me to crack on and succeed and I want to keep my momentum going as I approach an important phase of my career. I'm excited to box again in Hull on March 7.”
Coyle (20-2, 9 KOs) is in the main event of the show and will face former British lightweight champion Martin Gethin (25-6-1, 11 KOs).
In their most recent bouts, Campbell and Coyle co-headlined an Oct. 25 card in Hull. Coyle needed only two rounds to knock out faded action star Michael Katsidis in the main event while Campbell took out Daniel Brizuela in the fifth round.