<
>

Notes: Avila, Golden Boy extend promotional agreement

A few notes from around the boxing world:

• Junior featherweight prospect Manuel “Tino” Avila and Golden Boy Promotions announced Friday they have extended their promotional agreement.

Avila (18-0, 8 KOs), 23, of Fairfield, California, is coming off a strong sixth-round knockout win against former title challenger Yoandris Salinas on Aug. 8.

"Golden Boy Promotions has guided my career in the right direction from the very beginning," Avila said. “They have proven to me what they can to do to make me the next world champion. They are like family to me, and I am looking forward to see what we can build together in the next phase of my career."

Said Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya: “Manuel proved his mettle with a hard-fought victory over former world title contender Yoandris Salinas this past August and we are confident that Tino is ready to fight for a major title in the next year."

• Last week, Showtime announced during its replay of the Floyd Mayweather-Andre Berto fight that featherweight titlist Gary Russell Jr. (26-1, 15 KOs) would make his first defense against Oscar Escandon in the headline fight of an Oct. 24 card. However, the fight will not take place on that date. Instead, it is moving to a date to be determined, likely in November. The site is also not set.

Russell, of Capitol Heights, Maryland, won the belt in March by knockout against Jhonny Gonzalez and has not fought since. Escandon (24-2, 16 KOs), 31, of Colombia, is coming off a decision loss to Moises Flores in April in an interim junior featherweight title bout. He is moving up in weigh to face Russell.

• Former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist Randall Bailey (45-8, 38 KOs), of Miami, who recently signed with South Korean-based AK Promotions, has an opponent for his junior middleweight bout on Oct. 4 in Inchon, South Korea.

Bailey, who is moving up in weight, will face Shusaku Fujinaka (12-5-2, 8 KOs), 28, of Japan, in a scheduled 12-round bout. Bailey, 41, has fought only two low-level fights since losing his welterweight belt by decision to Devon Alexander in October 2012.