Every Tuesday and Thursday in “All-Star Spotlight,” members of the ESPNHS All-Star team tackle a hot topic in high school sports. Today, Laura Smolinski, a senior volleyball player at Rham (Hebron, Conn.), shares 10 inspirational quotes that push her to improve.
If you're like me, you look for quotes to inspire you to keep pushing.
Whether your team is struggling for its first win or if you’re an undefeated powerhouse, you turn to successful people to help you stay motivated.
This week, I found a bunch of gold stars in a party store and had my teammates each write a favorite quote on one. Then we hung them in the locker room for inspiration.
To really understand these, you have to take a closer look. When your team is down, you have to work extra hard to bring yourselves to make a comeback. No matter how crazy the moment, that moment is all that really matters. Take every play and shot for what it’s worth and realize that you will never get it back. Take nothing for granted and recognize what you have before it’s gone. Working hard and having a positive attitude will help drive your team to success. And lastly, never give up. Always remember that!
Here are 10 quotes that should make you really think about what’s going on. After all, "Ninety percent of the game is half mental." – Yogi Berra
1. "The harder you work the harder it is to surrender." - Vince Lombardi
2. "Fall down seven times, get up eight." - Japanese Proverb
3. "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." – Henry Ford
4. "It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit." -Harry S. Truman
5. "Sometimes it’s not how good you are, but how bad you want it." - Anonymous
6. “Don’t pin your success on outcomes.” – “The Peaceful Warrior”
7. “Make every move about the move — that one moment in time.” – “The Peaceful Warrior"
8. "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." – Author Unknown
9. "A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing." - Payne Stewart
10."Build your weaknesses until they become your strengths." - Knute Rockne