ESPNHS takes a look back at the top storylines from last week, which was highlightling by a soccer attack that brought assualt charges and the corresponding video that went viral.
5. Early Surprise: Freshman Bryce Watts’ overtime goal lifted Red Land (Lewisberry, Pa.) to an upset win over previous POWERADE FAB 50 No. 4 Cumberland Valley (Mechancisburg, Pa.), ending the defending state champions’ 20-match win streak.
4. Close Calls: When POWERADE FAB 50 rivals Hough (Cornelius, N.C.) and Lake Norman (N.C.) meet, one thing’s for certain it’s going to be a great match. The two undefeated teams hooked up last week in a fourth straight classic, with Hough winning 2-1 on goals by Sarah Moon and Hannah Robinson. In the four recent meetings, Hough has won three one-goal matches and one contest ended in a draw.
3. All Tied Up: Novi (Mich.) extended its spring-best undefeated streak to 37 matches last week, but not exactly the way the program had in mind. Last year’s POWERADE FAB 50 No. 1 team tied its first three matches of the season. The 0-0-3 start will cause a significant drop in the POWERADE FAB50 rankings this week, but the good news is the team is still undefeated.
2. Rising Stars: St. Teresa’s (Kansas City, Mo.) was projected as a top team in Missouri this season, and the team certainly delivered last week. The Stars won the Mo-Kan Challenge, which features several of the top programs in the Kansas City area. In the semifinals, St. Teresa’s pinned the first loss of the season on Lee’s Summit North (Lee’s Summit, Mo.). The Stars finished their 3-0 showing at the event with a 3-0 championship win over St. Thomas Aquinas (Overland Park, Kan.).
1. Soccer Attack Goes Viral: Annette McCullough of Lewisville (Richburg, S.C.) was charged with third-degree assault and battery for attacking a player during a match last Monday. A video of the incident shows the player falling to the ground then getting up and pulling the victim to the ground by her hair before repeatedly hitting her. The story was picked up by nearly every major media outlet and made the rounds nationally.