Every team in the LA North has at least one game under its belt. The Marmonte League season opens this weekend. Moorpark vs. Thousand Oaks looks like the best game on the schedule.
Chaminade moves up a couple of spots after a 41-21 opening night win over Venice.
Some of the top performances:
Chaminade’s Terrell Newby: Five touchdowns against Venice.
Canyon’s Drew Wolitarsky: Seven catches for 173 yards against Burroughs of Burbank.
Quartz Hills’ Mario Lodge: 202 rushing yards and four touchdowns against Oxnard.
Here’s a look at the LA North Top 10 after Week 1. Previous week's rankings are in parentheses:
(1) Oaks Christian (0-1): The Lions ease into Marmonte League play against Agoura on Friday. Oaks Christian is coming off a 31-21 loss to Bellevue, the reigning 3A state champion from Washington, on Sept. 3. Agoura was 2-8 and won only one league game in 2010.
(2) St. Bonaventure (1-0): The Seraphs opened with an impressive 29-27 win over Corona Centennial, the No. 2 team in the ESPN LA prep football rankings. St. Bonaventure begins Marmonte League play against Royal on Friday night.
(3) Alemany (2-0): The Warriors walloped on another easy opponent, 46-7, over Eastside from Lancaster. Alemany plays JW North at Riverside City College on Friday.
(4) Crepi (2-0): The Celts clobbered LA Jordan 64-0. Crespi will be tested this weekend against Clovis West from Fresno. Clovis won the CIF Central Section Division I championship and went 12-1 in 2010. The only loss for Clovis: 34-33 to Crespi on Sept. 17. The game is in Fresno on Saturday night.
(5) Westlake (1-0): The Warriors are coming off a 30-27 overtime win over Del Oro from Loomis on Sept. 3. Westlake opens Marmonte League play against Calabasas on Friday night.
(9) Chaminade (1-0): The Eagles got off to a slow start against Venice but rolled to a 41-21 opening night win. Chaminade’s Terrell Newby scored five touchdowns. He will give the Valencia defense all it can handle on Friday night.
(7) Canyon (1-0): The Cowboys piled on Burroughs of Burbank, 42-14, with receiver Drew Wolitarsky having one of the biggest games of the weekend. He caught seven passes for 173 yards and a touchdown. Canyon plays Knight from Lancaster on Friday night.
(6) Moorpark (1-0): The Musketeers won their opening night game, 21-10, over Palos Verdes on Sept. 2. Moorpark plays Thousand Oaks in one of the better Marmonte League openers. Thousand Oaks shut out Hueneme, 62-0, two weeks ago.
(8) Quartz Hill (1-0): The Rebels opened with an impressive 42-13 win over Oxnard. Quartz Hill running back Mario Lodge turned some heads with 202 yards rushing on 11 carries. He also scored four touchdowns. Let’s see if he can put up those kind of numbers against Bakersfield, which reached the championship game of the Central Section Division I playoffs last year.
(10) Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (2-0): The Knights needed overtime to beat Valencia, 17-14. Notre Dame was held scoreless for three-and-a-half quarters, but scored 14 points in the last seven minutes of the game. Notre Dame plays City Section power Woodland Hills Taft on Friday.
Follow Tim Haddock on Twitter @thaddock.