What happened to the teams from the Serra League? Alemany and Crespi, the class of the Serra League, lost on Friday night. For Alemany, it was another heartbreaking one-point loss. For Crespi, it was a blowout against Vista Murrieta.
At least Sherman Oaks Notre Dame stepped up, shutting out Golden Valley.
Alemany has two losses this season, both by one point. The Warriors lost to J.W. North by one point, 36-35, two weeks ago. Their most recent lost was to Dorsey, 14-13.
Crespi was undefeated at 4-0 entering the game against Vista Murrieta. Maybe a more telling stat was that the teams Crespi beat were a combined 2-12.
As a result, Alemany and Crespi drop a little in the L.A. North top 10 rankings. Westlake and St. Bonaventure move up a little. Oaks Christian remains on top and awaits its crosstown rival Westlake on Thursday night.
Here’s a look at the top 10:
(1) Oaks Christian (3-1) – Quarterback Brandon Dawkins threw for three touchdowns and the Lions improved to 3-0 in Marmonte League play with a 56-7 win over Calabasas.
(4) Westlake (5-0) – The Warriors scored 73 points and, believe it or not, it wasn’t the highest total of Friday night. Paraclete dropped 86 points on Marshall of Pasadena. Westlake stayed undefeated with a 73-27 win over Royal.
(5) St. Bonaventure (3-1) – Ouch! The Seraphs shut out Simi Valley, 34-0. Running backs Shaun Wick and Zach Green each scored two touchdowns for St. Bonaventure.
(2) Crespi (4-1) – The Celts had a 13-7 lead on Vista Murrieta in the first half, but ultimately lost, 38-20. It was the first loss of the season for Crespi. Vista Murrieta, meanwhile, stayed undefeated at 4-0.
(3) Alemany (3-2) – The Warriors have lost two games by a combined score of two points. They lost by one point to Dorsey on Friday night. Alemany quarterback Devon Dunn was knocked out of the game in the second half because of an injury after a sack.
(6) Canyon (4-0) – The Cowboys rolled over Beverly Hills, 56-6. Canyon receiver Drew Wolitarsky caught five passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns. He broke the school record for career receiving touchdowns with 26.
(7) Chaminade (3-1) – The Eagles looked good against Mira Costa in a 29-13 win. Running back Terrell Newby rushed for 243 yards and scored two touchdowns.
(8) Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (5-0) – The Knights had no problem with Golden Valley, shutting out the Grizzlies, 42-0. After its first four plays of the game, Notre Dame was up 21-0.
(9) St. Francis (4-0) – The Golden Knights handed West Ranch an embarrassing first loss in a matchup of previously undefeated teams. St. Francis won 35-0, building a 28-0 lead in the first half.
(10) Ventura (5-0) – The Cougars welcomed back MaxPreps All-American Nick Rudolph with a 27-0 win over Camarillo. Ventura running back Conner Armstrong had a nice night with 145 yards rushing and two touchdowns.