Despite a few close calls, the Inland Empire top 10 got through the first round of the Southern Section playoffs intact. That won’t be the case this week, however.
1. (1) Corona Centennial, 10-1 – The Huskies found themselves in a shootout with an unlikely opponent Friday night in their Inland Division first-round game but ultimately prevailed against Redlands, 49-35, thanks to five touchdowns for running back Romello Goodman. Next: vs. Chaparral, Friday.
2. (2) Upland, 11-0 – Arizona State-bound wide receiver Kenny Lawler showed his big-play ability for Upland in a 59-21 victory Friday night against Murrieta Valley, hauling in first-half touchdown passes of 45, 60 and 55 yards in the Inland Division opener. Next: vs. Charter Oak, Friday
3. (3) Vista Murrieta, 6-5 – The Broncos scored 28 unanswered points in the second quarter Friday night against visiting Damien and coasted to a 38-13 victory in an Inland Division first-round game. Next: vs. J.W. North at TBD, Friday
4. (4) Redlands East Valley, 11-0 – The Wildcats had to come from behind twice against Norco in a turnover-filled Inland Division first-round game Friday night before holding on to win, 20-15. Next: vs. Rancho Cucamonga at TBD, Friday.
5. (5) Rancho Cucamonga, 10-1 – The Cougars escaped their Inland Division first-round game by completing a 37-yard desperation pass with no time on the clock against Chino Hills, giving them the points they needed in a 39-38 victory. Next: vs. Redlands East Valley at TBD, Friday.
6. (6) J.W. North, 10-1 – The Huskies found the going tougher than expected Friday night against Yucaipa, but managed to score the game’s final 20 points and win, 27-13, to move on to the second round of the Inland Division. Next: vs. Vista Murrieta at TBD, Friday.
7. (7) Rancho Verde, 11-0 – Carlos Hernandez and wide receiver Demorea Stringfellow hooked up for three touchdown passes Friday night in a 44-0 victory against Don Lugo in a Central Division first-round game. Next: at San Gorgonio, Friday.
8. (8) Citrus Hill, 11-0 – The Hawks fell behind, 14-0, against Norte Vista and nearly found themselves staring at a three-touchdown deficit before scoring on eight consecutive possessions to pull away for a 55-28 victory in an Eastern Division opener. Next: at Ridgecrest Burroughs, Friday.
9. (9) Serrano, 9-2 – Four different running backs for Serrano scored touchdowns in the first half of a 45-7 victory Friday night against visiting Granite Hills in an Eastern Division first-round game. Next: at Elsinore, Friday.
10. (10) Palm Springs 11-0 – The Indians limited Rialto to 90 total yards and just four first downs in a 35-0 victory Friday night in a Central Division first-round game. Next: at Chino.
Just missed: Heritage, Summit, Moreno Valley, Colony, Chaparral, La Sierra, Kaiser, San Gorgonio, Chino.