There is a new No. 1 in the L.A. North and a new team in the top 10. Woodland Hills Taft ground out another tight one, this time against Fairfax in a match-up of two of the top teams in the City Section.
Oak Park cracks the top 10 for the first time this season after beating Oaks Christian by one point on the road.
Westlake and Harvard-Westlake had some untimely losses. Westlake dropped to No. 8. The Wolverines have lost three of their past four games, including 77-68, to Alemany and were knocked out of the top 10.
Here is a look at the top 10 teams in the L.A. North:
1. (2) Woodland Hills Taft (17-3) – The Toreadors extended their winning streak to seven games including 44-38 over Fairfax in the Fairfax City Preview Classic. Taft also tallied West Valley League wins over Cleveland and Birmingham. Anthony January scored 20 points for Taft against Fairfax in a defensive tussle.
2. (1) Crespi (18-2) – The Celts lost for only second time this season and had their six-game winning streak snapped against Harvard-Westlake, 67-66, in a Mission League game on Friday night. London Perrantes scored 16 points in the loss.
3. (3) Alemany (16-3) – The Warriors won both of their Mission League games last week, both on the road. They beat Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, 85-62, and Harvard-Westlake, 77-68. Marqueze Coleman averaged 26 points in the games against Notre Dame and Harvard-Westlake, scoring 30 against the Wolverines.
4. (6) Royal (15-5) – The Highlanders won their sixth game in a row, 68-34, over Moorpark in a Marmonte League game. Max McCoy led Royal with 18 points and J.R. Powell scored 16.
5. (7) Calabasas (17-3) – The Coyotes won their second game in a row, 75-51, over Simi Valley. They have won five of their past six games. Jeremy Lieberman had a big game for Calabasas with 31 points against Simi.
6. (5) Providence of Burbank (17-4) – The Pioneers lost to Morningside, 71-70, in the Martin Luther King Shootout at Price High School, but rebounded nicely with a 73-66 win over Campbell Hall in the War on the Floor tournament at Taft High School. Freshman Marcus LoVett Jr. scored 45 points, 21 in the fourth quarter, for Providence against Campbell Hall.
7. (8) Canyon (19-1) – Canyon won its 12th game in a row, 68-34, over Golden Valley in a Foothill League game. The Cowboys are off to their best start in school history and can set the school record for longest winning streak against Saugus on Friday night. That is if Canyon beats Hart on Tuesday night.
8. (4) Westlake (16-7) – The Warriors were upset by Thousand Oaks, 53-46 in overtime, in a Marmonte League game last week. It was the only game Westlake played. Grant Lozoya scored 20 points for Westlake in the loss. Tanner Fanjoy had 22 points for Thousand Oaks.
9. (9) El Camino Real (12-6) – The Conquistadores won both their West Valley League games last week, but needed a buzzer-beater from Julian Richardson to beat Chatsworth, 57-55. El Camino Real has won three games in a row and four of their past five.
10. (NR) Oak Park (16-6) – The Eagles have won eight games in a row including all five of their Tri-Valley League games. They are coming off a 61-60 league win over Oaks Christian. Ron Lee scored 30 points, five in the final minute, and Oak Park held on after blowing a 17-point lead.