1. There aren't many sports where this quote is acceptable, but wrestling is one of them: "I wanted to go out and beat up on some kids," Miguel Ramirez told the Orange County Register after pinning all four of his opponents Saturday in the Laguna Hills Invitational. Ramirez, a 140-pounder for Laguna Hills, was returning to action after having been out with a back injury. The Hawks won their meet by producing five champions. Ramirez and Yorba Linda's Garret Myers (120) shared lower weight MVP, and Laguna Hills' Jason Newcomer (160) and Edison's Greg Meline (170) shared the award for the upper weights.
2. Mater Dei's girls' basketball team got pushed into the second half on Saturday in its victory over JSerra. With sole possession of first place in the Trinity League on the line, the Monarchs (18-2) held a 33-30 halftime lead and a 51-41 margin before pulling away for a 70-46 victory. Nirra Fields and Jordan Adams scored 24 and 20 points, respectively, for Mater Dei, which was ranked No. 11 in the nation in the ESPNHS Powerade Fab 50. Mater Dei's girls are ranked higher nationally than the boys, who registered at No. 15 last week.
3. Santa Margarita has spent the season in the shadows of girls' basketball, but with freshman transfer student Zaier Williams gaining her eligibility on Friday, the whole complexion of the program changes. The athletic guard can change the landscape, and scored 24 points in her debut, a 57-52 victory over San Diego Cathedral Catholic on Saturday. The Eagles (9-13) have been in rebuilding mode and are winless in four league games; that will probably change.
4. Orange County went 3-2 in the five girls' basketball games played Saturday at Santa Margarita High as part of the Orange County/San Diego Challenge, which pits teams from the two counties against each other. Edison won the marquee game against La Jolla The Bishop's School, 75-59, behind Karlie Samuelson (28 points) and sister Katie Lou Samuelson (26); Karlie had missed 10 games because of a sprained ankle. In other games, Orange Lutheran beat Carlsbad, Santa Margarita beat Cathedral Catholic, San Diego Our Lady of Peace beat Mission Viejo and Spring Valley Mount Miguel beat Rosary.
5. If Jim Kunau being removed as the football coach at Orange Lutheran is true, then it's big news. Kunau has been a gentleman coach for almost two decades, and at a private Christian school his program has walked the walk. If he is out, no matter the caliber of the coach chosen to replace him, it is a sad day in the history of the program.