1. Lakewood, the No. 4 team heading into the weekend, just didn't have it Friday in its loss to Long Beach Poly. The Lancers were out to prove that last year's win against Poly was no fluke, but maybe it was. Nothing was doing offensively, while Poly's side ate up the clock with methodical drives. Lakewood tied the game following a fumbled punt return. The Lancers' other touchdown came on a kickoff return.
2. It was interesting to hear Long Beach Poly players talk about the Moore League belonging to them and no one else. The Jackrabbits were clearly prepared to show it Friday, but what happened in their previous two losses? Is there a magical on and off switch at Poly? Losing by 25 to St. Bonaventure and then 30 to Mission Viejo -- both at the home -- makes it feel that way. If so, the Moore League race is far from over -- no matter what Poly players say.
3. A good amount of teams chose last week as their bye. Dorsey came off its bye week and barely escaped with a 22-21 win against San Diego Mira Mesa on Friday. How will some of the region's top teams -- namely Serra, Crenshaw and Dominguez -- respond to the extra week of rest?
4. The Hacienda League is shaping up to be a good one. The top teams -- West Covina and Bonita -- both won, while Diamond Ranch and Walnut played perhaps the most thrilling game of the weekend. The Panthers came back from a 21-0 deficit to win in double overtime.
5. Mira Costa pulled off the upset at home against Newport Harbor behind a strong defensive effort. The Mustangs have won only twice this season -- but have allowed 10 or less points in three of their five games.