1. The Crespi boys basketball team won its 11th game in a row and its first two games of Mission League play. Matt Mounier scored 28 points and had 10 rebounds in a tight 76-72 win over league rival Loyola. Crespi followed with 68-50 league win over St. Francis. Justin Rubia and Carter Gallo each scored 13 points and combined for six 3-pointers. Crespi plays Harvard-Westlake tonight.
2. The Harvard-Westlake boys are riding a 10-game winning streak and, like Crespi, won its first two Mission League games. Poor St. Francis was on the losing end of a 63-44 game last week to Harvard-Westlake. Josh Hearlihy scored 28 points and was 4-of-6 from 3-point range. Damiene Cain had a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds. He had a monster game against Notre Dame, scoring 24 points and grabbing 15 rebounds in a 63-45 win two nights later.
3. The Thousand Oaks boys basketball team bounced back after losing its first game of the season, the championship game of the Desert Heat Classic. Thousand Oaks won two Marmonte League games last week and improved to 4-0 in league play. Thousand Oaks won the first game, 52-47, over Westlake. In the second game, Evann Hall scored a career-high 33 points in Thousand Oaks’ 71-55 win over Simi Valley. Hall scored 14 points in the third quarter as Thousand Oaks built a 53-38 lead. Next up for Thousand Oaks is Calabasas tonight.
4. The Ventura boys basketball team won its 13th game in a row. Win No. 13 came unmercifully against Santa Barbara, 64-19. Ventura held Santa Barbara to two first-quarter points and nine first-half points. Everyone on Ventura’s roster scored, but only Jared Wilson reached double figures. He scored a team-high 14, nearly matching the entire team output for Santa Barbara. Next up for Ventura is Buena on Wednesday night.
5. The Chatsworth boys basketball team has a little four-game winning streak, including 55-37 over Community Charter from Lake View Terrace in the College of the Canyons Showdown on Saturday. On the horizon is a more challenging showdown with Woodland Hills Taft on Thursday night. Taft is nationally ranked and considered one of the best teams in California. Taft hasn’t played since Dec. 30 against Corona Del Mar in the Torrey Pines Tournament in San Diego. Chatsworth gets El Camino Real and Taft will play Birmingham on Wednesday night before the two teams meet. It’ll be a good test for Chatsworth and perhaps a letdown for Taft.