After impressive starts, Crespi and Thousand Oaks lost their first league games of the season. Harvard-Westlake, the team that beat Crespi, moves into the No. 1 spot. Thousand Oaks slips to No. 5 after losing to Calabasas. Chatsworth makes its return to the top 10 at No. 10.
1. (2) Harvard-Westlake (14-2) – Harvard-Westlake beat Crespi, 56-47, in a Mission League game on Monday night and won its 11th game in a row. Josh Hearlihy scored a team-high 16 points for Harvard-Westlake. Teammate Damiene Cain scored 11 points and had eight rebounds. Harvard-Westlake has two more tough Mission League games this week, Chaminade (11-5) on Wednesday and Loyola (11-4) on Friday.
2. (1) Crespi (14-4) – Crespi had its 11-game winning streak snapped against Harvard-Westlake. Alemany (11-5) and Chaminade (11-5) are on Crespi’s schedule this week.
3. (3) Woodland Hills Taft (11-2) – Taft has a tough test on Thursday night against an upstart Chatsworth (16-3) team. Before that, Taft plays Birmingham on Wednesday night. The Toreadors should be well-rested since the team hasn’t played since Dec. 30 in the Torrey Pines Tournament in San Diego. Then again, games on back-to-back nights might not be the best recipe for success after such a long layoff.
4. (5) Ventura (15-1) – Ventura has had a bit of a layoff as well. The Cougars last played on Jan. 7, a 64-19 blowout against Santa Barbara. Buena (9-7) is on tap for Ventura on Wednesday. A seemingly challenging test against San Marcos (13-3) awaits Ventura on Friday night.
5. (4) Thousand Oaks (15-2) – After winning its first 13 games of the season, Thousand Oaks is 2-2 in its past four games. The latest loss, 56-55 against Calabasas, is the first Marmonte League setback of the season for Thousand Oaks. Next up for the Lancers is Moorpark on Wednesday and Newbury Park on Friday.
6. (6) Simi Valley (12-5) – Simi Valley took care of business against Newbury Park, 60-52, but lost its first Marmonte League game, 71-55, to Thousand Oaks. Simi Valley plays Agoura on Wednesday and Royal on Friday.
7. (7) Alemany (11-5) – Alemany beat St. Francis, 66-40, but a motivated Crespi team awaits the Warriors on Wednesday. After that, Alemany hosts Oaks Christian on Saturday.
8. (9) Valencia (9-5) – Valencia spent some time South of the Boulevard last week and went 1-1, beating Morningside, 64-48, and losing to Washington, 65-62. Valencia returns to its suburban roots with the start of Foothill League play against West Ranch tonight. A game against Golden Valley is on tap for Friday.
9. (10) Loyola (11-4) – Loyola is coming off a 77-53 win over Chaminade. But Loyola has a tough week ahead. Harvard-Westlake is on Thursday and Dorsey is on Saturday.
10. (NR) Chatsworth (16-3) – Chatsworth won its fourth game in a row, 55-37, over Community Charter in the College of the Canyons Showdown on Saturday. Chatsworth has won six of its past seven games. The Chancellors have a tough test against El Camino Real (9-6) on Wednesday and an even tougher test against Woodland Hills Taft on Thursday.