La Canada moved up in the rankings, to No. 8, with an impressive win over Los Osos in the Azusa Pacific SoCal Shootout. Loyola jumped up to No. 5 with an impressive win over Crespi. Alemany dropped to No. 9 and has some tough games this week, including Price on Saturday in the Fairfax Showcase.
1. (1) Harvard-Westlake (17-2) – Harvard-Westlake has a 15-game winning streak after downing St Francis, 64-59 on Monday night. More impressively, Harvard-Westlake beat Alemany, 83-72 on Saturday night. Zena Edosomwan had a monster night against Alemany with 26 points on 10-of-12 shooting from the field and 10 rebounds. Damiene Cain scored in double figures in both games. He had 13 against St. Francis. He scored 23 and had 16 rebounds against Alemany. Harvard-Westlake plays Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Wednesday night.
2. (2) Woodland Hills Taft (15-2) – Taft beat El Camino Real, 92-38, on Monday night to win its sixth game in a row. Colorado-bound point guard Spencer Dinwiddie scored 12 points and had 13 assists for Taft. Taft plays Granada Hills on Wednesday and Birmingham on Friday.
3. (3) Thousand Oaks (18-2) – Thousand Oaks squeaked past Royal, 63-60, on Friday night to win its third game in row and its fifth in its past six games. Four Thousand Oaks players scored in double figures. Austin Cagley led the Lancers with 19 points. Anthony Jacques scored 16. But it’s not all good news out of Thousand Oaks. The team will be without its head coach Rich Endres for two weeks. He has a blood clot behind his left knee and, under doctor’s orders, needs to stay off it for 14 days. He will miss Wednesday’s game against Agoura and most likely next week’s game against Westlake.
4. (4) Ventura (18-2) – Ventura doubled up on Santa Barbara, 66-33, behind an extremely balanced offensive attack. Four players scored in double figures. Dylan Houck and Richard Thomas each scored 11 points and were a combined 8-of-14 from the field. Ventura plays a reeling San Marcos team (14-7) on Wednesday night. San Marcos has lost four of its past five games.
5. (8) Loyola (13-5) – Loyola won its third game in a row and its fifth in the past six games after beating Crespi, 66-55. The Cubs built a 23-6 lead in the first half over Crespi behind a strong shooting night from Justin Childress. He scored 20 points and converted all six of his free throws in the fourth quarter. Freshman guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright scored 12 points and had five assists. Loyola plays Alemany on Wednesday and Chaminade on Friday.
6. (5) Crespi (16-6) – Crespi lost to Loyola on Monday night. It was the third loss in the past five games for Crespi. The Celts played without point guard London Perrantes, who is reportedly out indefinitely with a leg injury. Kenny Stenhouse led Crespi with 17 points and nine rebounds in the loss to Loyola. Next up for Crespi is St. Francis on Wednesday and Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Friday.
7. (9) Simi Valley (14-6) – Simi Valley narrowly beat Westlake, 56-53. Jonathan Davis led the Pioneers with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Simi Valley plays Calabasas on Wednesday and Moorpark on Friday.
8. (10) La Canada (18-2) – La Canada won its sixth game in row, 60-36, over Los Osos from Rancho Cucamonga in the Azusa Pacific SoCal Shootout. Dario CiVon scored 21 points and led three La Canada players in double figures. Next up for La Canada is Temple City in a Rio Hondo League game on Friday night and El Camino from Oceanside in the Fairfax Showcase on Saturday.
9. (6) Alemany (14-6) – Alemany hit a little road bump with a loss to Harvard-Westlake on Saturday. But the Warriors bounced back with a 72-69 win over Chaminade on Monday night. Alemany has a busy week. The team is home against Loyola on Wednesday and St. Francis on Friday before playing Price in the Fairfax Showcase on Saturday.
10. (7) Valencia (14-6) – Valencia went two weeks without Boston College-bound senior Lonnie Jackson and posted some impressive wins, including one over Campbell Hall. Jackson, who was sitting out with an injured foot, made his return Jan. 18 against Canyon and Valencia lost its first Foothill League game of the season. Valencia plays Hart tonight and West Ranch on Friday.