1. As of late Sunday night, the Gardena Serra boys basketball team was excluded from the CIF-SS Division 3AA playoff bracket despite winning the Del Rey League title. The CIF office announced that the Cavaliers had forfeited their 13 wins after using an ineligible player. The Los Angeles Times later identified that player as Emmanual Ndumanya, who transferred from Maryland. Serra can still be included in the postseason, but the bracket becomes final once the games begin Wednesday night.
2. In championship wrestling action, Northview defeated Servite, 39-27, to win the CIF-SS Division 2 crown. West Covina beat Ventura, 31-28, for the Division 4 title. Downey took down Paramount, 39-28, for the Division 6 championship.
3. The girls' water polo playoffs will begin Tuesday and conclude Feb. 26 at the William J. Wollett, Jr. Aquatics Center in Irvine. Among the south Los Angeles County teams that received a top-four seed on Sunday: Division 2 - No. 2 Montebello (20-7); Division 3 - No. 1 St. Lucy's (25-3), No. 4 South Pasadena (22-2); Division 5 - No. 4 Bonita (20-8); Division 6 - No. 1 Warren (20-6), No. 3 Cerritos (15-11).
4. Narbonne (26-3) is the heavy favorite to win the girls' basketball City Section Division 1 championship. The Marine League champion received the No. 1 seed, while league rival Carson (15-10), the runner-up, got the No. 2 seed. It doesn't end there: Third-place Washington (16-7) got the No. 4 seed, fourth-place King-Drew (15-10) the No. 9 seed, fifth-place Gardena (15-12) the No. 12 seed. Narbonne beat Carson twice -- by 13 and 14 points -- this season.
5. It would come as a tremendous shock if Western League champion Westchester (23-6) didn't advance to the CIF City Section Division 1 title game at Galen Center. The Comets open the playoffs Thursday at home against Gardena (5-18) and, if they advance, get the winner of Birmingham (12-18) and Fairfax (15-10). Westchester has already beaten league rival Fairfax twice this season. A possible meeting with No. 3 seed Washington (20-6) looms in the semifinals. It all adds up to a fairly favorable road to Figueroa Street.