1. The Ventura boys basketball team is headed to its third CIF Southern Section championship game in the past six years. Ventura won the title in 2006, lost in 2009. Dylan Houck is one of 11 seniors on the team this year. Not all of them were on the 2009 team that finished as runners-up, but Houck was and he said he remembers not being able to seal the deal two years ago. It’s not a pleasant memory. Coach Dan Larson said his players were a little nervous before their semifinal game against Compton on Friday night. They played like they were nervous in the first half and the first two minutes of the third quarter. Ventura was down 15 points before mounting an 18-0 run in the third quarter and taking a three-point lead into the fourth quarter. Ventura beat Compton, 70-58, and will play Mission Viejo in the CIF Southern Section Division 2AA championship game at the Anaheim Convention Center on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
2. The Southern Section boys and girls basketball semifinals and finals are set for the Anaheim Convention Center and Mater Dei High School starting on Tuesday. The boys and girls Division 1AA semifinals are set to begin on Tuesday at 3 p.m. The Brea Olinda girls take on Canyon Springs in the first game of the day. The Mater Dei girls play Santa Monica in the other semifinal. The first boys semifinal pits Corona Centennial against Mater Dei at 6:30. The other semifinal is Long Beach Poly vs. Etiwanda.
3. The Southern Section championship games begin on Wednesday with the girls 6A, 4AA and 3A title games. The boys Division 4AA championship game between Orange Lutheran and Windward is set to tip off at 6:30 p.m. Third-seeded La Canada plays top-seeded Price in the boys Division 3AA championship game on Thursday night at 4:45 p.m. No. 1 Oaks Christian plays Buckley in the boys Division 4A championship game on Saturday at 9 a.m. No. 1 Harvard-Westlake plays Inglewood in the boys Division 3A championship game on Saturday morning at 10:45. Sierra Canyon plays Montclair Prep in the boys Division 5A championship on Friday night at 5 p.m. at Mater Dei High School. Flintridge Prep plays Muir in the boys Division 5AA championship on Saturday night at 6 at Mater Dei High School.
4. The Harvard-Westlake girls basketball team is making its third straight CIF Southern Section championship game appearance after a convincing 66-43 win over Indio in the Division 2A semifinals. Harvard-Westlake won the Division 4AA championship in 2009 and the Division 4A championship in 2010. The Wolverines will face Canyon of Anaheim on Thursday night at 6:30 at the the Anaheim Convention Center. Oaks Christian plays St. Anthony in the girls Division 4A championship game on Friday at 3:30 p.m. Buena plays Rialto in the girls Division 2AA championship game on Friday at 7 p.m.
5. The El Camino Real wrestling team won the CIF City Section championship over Sylmar at Roybal High School. Three sophomores won their respective weight classes for El Camino. Connor McClennan defeated Sylmar’s Cylle Altamirano-Hill in the 152-pound division. Shayan Shanangian won the 140-pound division with an 11-8 decision over San Fernando’s Anthony Contreras. Ali Naser won his second straight City title with an 18-1 decision over Granada Hill’s Robert Mena in the 125-pound division. It was the first City Section wrestling championship for El Camino Real since 2001.