1. The Mira Costa boys volleyball team beat rival Loyola 23-25, 25-18, 23-25, 25-21, 15-12 at Loyola Marymount University on Friday night. It was a revenge of sorts for the Mustangs, who fell to Loyola in last year's CIF Southern Section Division I championship. Heading into Friday's match, Mira Costa (12-0) was the top-ranked team in the CIF-SS top 10 poll; Loyola (11-2) was ranked third.
2. Cerritos Gahr wide receiver Delshawn McClellon registered the fastest 40-yard dash time at the Nike SPARQ Combine, running a 4.37 on Saturday at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Long Beach. The rising senior figures to draw plenty of attention from recruiters in the fall.
3. Defensive back Lavell Sanders of Compton Dominguez had the fastest 20-yard shuttle at 3.98. Sanders will team up with highly touted cornerbacks Brandon Beaver and Alphonso Marsh to give Dominguez one of the top defenses in the region. Click here for a recap of the Nike SPARQ results from ESPN Rise.
4. Long Beach Poly forward Ryan Anderson had five points, four rebounds and two assists for the West team in the All-American Championship in Houston on Sunday. The West squad beat the East, 107-104. Anderson was named the Gatorade California Player of the Year last month after leading Poly to the CIF-SS Division 1AA basketball championship.
5. In baseball: Bonita, the top-ranked team in the CIF-SS Division 3 poll, has won eight of its last nine. The Bearcats can continue to make noise in the Arcadia Tournament this week. Long Beach Wilson took over the top spot in the Moore League standings with 3-1 wins against Millikan and Lakewood, the fourth-ranked team in the Division 1 poll.