Crespi had a rough stretch losing three games in a row and dropping to No. 5 in the L.A. North top 10 rankings. The Celts snapped out of their little funk with a Mission League win over Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Friday night.
Canyon saw its 12-game winning streak come to an end, and then lost two Foothill League games in a row. The Cowboys dropped out of the L.A. North top 10.
Enter Renaissance Academy, a tiny school in Sunland with a 18-3 record. The Wildcats have a tough game on Wednesday night against La Verne Lutheran, the No. 3 team in the ESPN Los Angeles rankings.
Here’s a look at the L.A. North top 10:
(1) Woodland Hills Taft (19-3) – The Toreadors won two West Valley League games, including 70-58 over El Camino Real on Friday night. It was the 75th league win in a row for Taft and a much more comfortable margin of victory over El Camino Real. Taft won by one point, 45-44, the first time the two teams played this season. Anthony January scored 37 points for Taft against ECR in the latest meeting.
(3) Alemany (20-3) – The Warriors have won six games in a row including five against Mission League opponents. Alemany is all alone in first place in the Mission League standings after Crespi stumbled with three losses in a row. Alemany and Crespi meet on Wednesday night.
(5) Calabasas (19-3) – The Coyotes have won four games in a row and are in first place in the Marmonte League standings. They have a one-game lead over Royal. Coach Jon Palarz won the 300th game of his high school career as Calabasas beat Royal, 75-72, in double overtime on Wednesday night.
(4) Royal (16-6) – The Highlanders have won seven of their past eight games. The only loss, 75-72, in double overtime to Calabasas. Royal bounced back with a 51-45 win over Simi Valley and is in second place in the Marmonte League standings.
(2) Crespi (19-4) – The Celts lost three games in a row, all to Mission League teams, and fell into a tie for second place in the Mission League standings. Crespi ended its three-game losing streak by beating Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, 66-52, on Friday night. The return of Michael Milligan Jr., who missed two games with a concussion, helped end the Crespi skid.
(6) Providence (19-4) – Since losing to Morningside by one point, 71-70, in the MLK Shootout, Providence has won three games in a row. The Pioneers are 6-0 in the Liberty League and freshman Marcus LoVett Jr. is averaging 31.7 points per game.
(8) Westlake (18-7) – The Warriors won both of their Marmonte League games last week. They have won four of their past five games. Joshua Brooks scored 23 points and hit three 3-pointers in Westlake’s 71-63 win over Moorpark.
(9) El Camino Real (13-7) – The Conquistadores had their four-game winning streak snapped by Taft on Friday night. Julian Richardson scored 20 points for El Camino Real against Taft.
(10) Oak Park (18-6) – The Eagles have won 10 games in a row and are 7-0 in the Tri-Valley League standings. They won both of their league games last week, including 73-43 over Nordhoff on Friday night.
(NR) Renaissance Academy (18-3) – The Wildcats had their 12-game winning streak snapped against Price on Thursday. They routed Besant Hill, 61-34, in the Oaks Christian Showcase on Saturday. Renaissance Academy plays La Verne Lutheran, the No. 3 team in the ESPN Los Angeles rankings, on Wednesday at L.A. Valley College.
The next 10: Agoura, Canyon, Crescenta Valley, Grant, Harvard-Westlake, Oxnard, La Canada, Oaks Christian, St. Francis, Village Christian.