1. Zach Handy controlled 22 of 27 faceoffs and Cameron Cole scored a team-high five goals as Foothill (18-4) won its fifth consecutive Southern Section Division 1 lacrosse championship. The Knights defeated Mira Costa, 19-5, on Saturday at Redondo Union High. Josh Giglio had nine saves against Mira Costa before giving way in the fourth quarter. Mission Viejo won the Division 2 title with a 7-5 victory over Loyola.
2. Allie Conrad scored six goals as Los Alamitos (19-3) won a third consecutive Southern Section girls' championship with a 19-5 victory over Redondo Union. Despite playing on Redondo's home field, Los Al led 11-1 at halftime and were never threatened. Julie Crowell and Torrey Bailey scored four goals apiece. St. Margaret's defeated Cate, 17-14, to win the Division 2 title.
3. Shelby Webber of Fountain Valley won the 200 individual medley (2:00.28) and the 100 freestyle (49.90), and Melanie Klaren of Aliso Niguel won the 200 free (1:46.62) and 100 backstroke (53.23) at the Southern Section Division I swim finals at Belmont Plaza in Long Beach. University scored a 125-point victory over second-place Laguna Hills in the overall team scoring. The Trojans got a first-place finish from Maggie Burton in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.69), and won three relays: the 200 medley, 200 free, and 400 free. Other champions were Emily Jiang of Irvine (100 butterfly, 55.36) and Courtney Wilde of Laguna Hills (50 free, 23.39). Alexandra Caplan of Mission Viejo won the diving in Division 1. Also notable was Lindsey Engel of Crean Lutheran, who clocked 49.37 in the 100 free in Division 3.
4. In the boys' Southern Section Division I swim finals at Belmont Plaza, Nick Soedel of Marina won the 100 freestyle (45.05), Michael Hauss of Edison won the 200 free (1:38.14), Christopher Wong of University won the 200 IM (1:50.70), and Logan Redondo of Capistrano Valley won the 500 free (4:27). Mark Anderson of El Toro won the diving competition.
5. Mater Dei upset top-seeded Mira Costa, 29-27, 20-25, 25-14, 18-25, 15-9, on Saturday in the Division 1 quarterfinals of the Southern Section boys' volleyball championships. Zach La Cavera led the way for the Monarchs with 35 kills. Fourth-seeded Newport Harbor was upset by Westlake after winning the first two games, 20-25, 22-25, 27-25, 25-20, 15-12. Thousand Oaks beat St. John Bosco in five, and second-seeded Santa Margarita swept Redondo. Mater Dei and Thousand Oaks host matches tonight at 7 p.m.