1. With a week left in the regular season, Sonora called on sophomore catcher Andrew Piraino to make his varsity pitching debut, and he responded with a 2-0 shutout of Freeway League leader La Habra. Sonora trails the Highlanders by a game with two remaining. Piraino pitched a four-hitter.
2. One of the outstanding swim performances of the weekend belonged to Villa Park's B.J. Churnside, who clocked 20.57 seconds in the 50 freestyle—the eighth-best time in county history—and 46.35 in the 100 free to win Century League boys' titles. Tiny Irvine Crean Lutheran is making some noise on the girls' side as freshman Ella Eastin clocked 2:01.65 for the eighth-best eighth-best 200 individual medley in county history, and teammate Lindsey Engel turned in the sixth-fastest 50 free in 23.30 in the Academy League finals.
3. There will be a new champion in lacrosse as Corona del Mar remained undefeated by beating five-time defending champion Foothill, 7-5, in the U.S. Lacrosse Division 1 South semifinals on Saturday. The top-seeded Sea Kings (22-0) won behind Casey Mix and Michael Keasey, who had three goals apiece, and Michael Ortleib's 13 saves against the fourth-seeded Knights. CdM will face San Clemente (15-6) in the finals on Wednesday, 7 p.m., at Dana Hills High. San Clemente beat Santa Margarita, 12-11, on Peyton Garrett's sudden death overtime goal. Robbie Burns had five goals for San Clemente, which trailed 11-8 after three quarters.
4. On the girls' side in lacrosse, top-seeded Los Alamitos defeated fourth-seeded Santa Margarita, 11-8, and Corona del Mar defeated third-seeded Beckman, 13-8. The finals are Wednesday, 5 p.m., at Dana Hills. Grace Schmidt-Beck scored six goals for Los Alamitos (16-2), which scored five in a row in the second half to break open a one-goal game. Ally Brahs and Torrey Attyah had three goals apiece for seventh-seeded CdM (16-3).
5. Tori Usgaard of Dana Hills captured South Coast League titles in three events to lead the Dolphins to the league championship. She had lifetime bests of 17 feet 9 inches to win the long jump and 45.32 to win the 300 hurdles. She also won the 100 hurdles (15.40) and took fourth in the high jump (5-0). Juan Gonzalez of El Toro came from behind to win both the 1,600 (4:15.60) and 800 (1:55.97) with his best performances of the season.