There’s a new No. 1 football team in the L.A. North area. Westlake knocked off Oaks Christian in impressive fashion with a 22-point win on Thursday night on national television. The Warriors dominated on the offensive line, defensive line and with its rushing attack.
Westlake moves up to No. 1. Oaks Christian drops to No. 5. Chaminade jumps three spots to No. 4 after a thrilling, come-from-behind win over Sherman Oaks Notre Dame.
Four top-10 teams, Westlake, Canyon, St. Francis and Ventura, are undefeated.
Here’s a look at the top 10 teams in the region:
(2) Westlake (5-0) – Westlake quarterback Justin Moore threw the ball only 13 times in his team’s 43-21 over previously top-ranked Oaks Christian. He didn’t need to throw the football that many times as Oaks Christian couldn’t stop the Westlake running attack.
(4) Crespi (5-1) – The Celts easily took care of Woodland Hills Taft, 56-7. Now Crespi begins its Serra League schedule against a stunned Sherman Oaks Notre Dame team on Friday night.
(5) Alemany (4-2) – Alemany wide receiver Steven Mitchell had a big game against Beverly Hills. He caught five passes for 172 yards and three touchdowns in his team’s 48-12 win.
(7) Chaminade (4-1) – It wasn’t the prettiest game against Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, but Chaminade ended the roller-coaster night on the upswing and won 36-32. That never-say-die mentality will be hard to beat.
(1) Oaks Christian (3-2) – Westlake found a weakness in the Oaks Christian defense: Run straight up the middle. The good news for Oaks Christian is that the Lions probably won’t face a team as tough as Westlake until the semifinals of the CIF-Southern Section Northern Division playoffs.
(3) St. Bonaventure (4-1) – The Seraphs ground game looked incredibly intimidating against Moorpark. Running backs Shaun Wick and Zach Green combined for 170 yards in 33 carries and didn’t give Moorpark much of a chance on offense.
(6) Canyon (5-0) – The Cowboys don’t deserve to drop a spot in the rankings after a dominating 42-0 win over Dos Pueblos. Quarterback Jonathan Jerozal had his best game of the season passing for 302 yards and four touchdowns.
(9) St. Francis (5-0) – The Golden Knights scored only one touchdown in a 9-3 win over Paso Robles. The St. Francis defense was stellar, forcing three turnovers, holding Paso Robles to 27 rushing yards and keeping the Bearcats out of the end zone.
(10) Ventura (6-0) – The Cougars finished their preseason with an undefeated record and a convincing 42-7 win over Oxnard. Quarterback Rodney Stanley threw for 217 yards and four touchdowns.
(8) Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (5-1) – If the game between Notre Dame and Chaminade is any indication of how the Serra and Mission leagues will play out, it’s going to be an exciting next five weeks of high school football in the San Fernando Valley. Tough loss, but it’s a game that will be remembered for a long time.