LOS ANGELES -- USC receiver Robert Woods said Monday he is fully healed from the right ankle injury that has bothered him on and off for the last 16 months, even though he was held out of the Trojans' camp-opening practice on Howard Jones Field for precautionary reasons.
He did participate in all of the team's walk-through earlier Monday. And Woods and Trojans coach Lane Kiffin are making a concerted effort to keep healthy all camp so he can go into the Sept. 1 season opener without any lingering pain, the receiver said.
"Doctors say I'm cleared to go, and I'm 100 percent," Woods said. "Right now it's just making sure I last and stay 100 percent."
Woods said Kiffin told him not to push the injury with "20 or 30" practices left in camp. Woods certainly has pushed the injury in the past, playing the entire 2011 season while being bothered by it and then undergoing arthroscopic surgery on it after the year.
He waited to work out on it in the winter but came back early in the summer on his own and made it worse. He then shut it down until late last month so he could participate fully in fall camp, although Kiffin told reporters at Pac-12 media day last month that he did not expect Woods to be 100 percent by now.
On Monday, Kiffin said his handling of Woods is "probably gonna change every day."
"I'm just really watching it, along with our medical staff," Kiffin said. "We don't need to make all kinds of statements in training camp and push guys out too far. So we held Robert out after individuals today."
Kiffin, sounding more optimistic about the situation than he did last month, said Woods wanted to keep going.