Matt Harvey is in the midst of a very dramatic and public fall, but the New York Mets apparently have no plans to cut ties with the injury-plagued right-hander.
“It’s highly unlikely that we’re not going to bring him back next year,” general manager Sandy Alderson told Mike Puma of the New York Post.
Harvey has made four starts since returning from a right shoulder injury that sidelined him for 2 1/2 months, posting an ERA of 13.19 while allowing 32 hits in 14 1/3 innings. “There are no answers,” Harvey told reporters after Monday's rocky outing against the Marlins.
Given Harvey’s past success, the Mets appear willing to tender a contract to the 28-year-old and pay a deal in the $6 million range for the arbitration-eligible pitcher.
An All-Star in 2013, Harvey made two starts for the Mets in the 2015 World Series after missing the 2014 season following Tommy John surgery. His career hit another bump in the road last year when he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome that required surgery and forced him to miss three months.
"A significant factor for the Mets, not to be underestimated, is avoiding the potential embarrassment that would come if Harvey were non-tendered by the team and then regained his form pitching elsewhere next season," writes Puma.
Harvey is 5-6 with a 6.59 ERA in 17 starts this season.
-- Doug Mittler