The news regarding Nick Diaz has been mostly upbeat in recent weeks.
UFC President Dana White told the media he thought Diaz had learned his lesson after he was removed from a welterweight title shot at UFC 137 for no-showing a pair of news conferences. Diaz manager Cesar Gracie agreed, saying as recently as this week that Diaz planned to handle all prefight obligations for his makeup bout with B.J. Penn as a professional.
Fast-forward to Wednesday, when Diaz reportedly showed up 45 minutes late for a media conference call in support of UFC 137 -- where he is once again back in the main event -- and then claimed he hadn’t been told about it.
“I didn’t even know about a call,” Diaz said. “Nobody called me in the last week or the past couple of days to tell me there was a call. I trained last night, ate, went to sleep, woke up and my phone was dead. I didn’t know until my brother told me I was supposed to be on a call.”
Sometimes, all you can do is laugh. Later in the day, White posted a message to his Twitter account that appeared to accept some responsibility for Diaz’s lateness, writing: “I'm hearing UFC dropped the ball on the Nick Diaz no show today!!”
Whose fault was it really? Doesn't matter. With everybody working so hard to rehabilitate Diaz’s image these past few weeks, he can't really afford snafus like this one. Better make sure he's on time for everything else right up until fight time.