2010 overall record: 11-3
2010 conference record: 7-1, conference champs
Offense: 7, defense 4, punter/kicker 2
QB Jeff Godfrey, CB Kemal Ishmael, RB Ronnie Weaver
DE Bruce Miller, LB Derrick Hallman, OL Jah Reid
2010 statistical leaders (* denotes returners)
Rushing: Weaver (186 carries, 890 yards, 11 TDs)*
Passing: Godfrey (159-of-238 for 2,159 yards, 13 TDs, 8 INTs)*
Receiving: Watters (47 catches, 651 yards, 2 TDs)
Tackles: Ishmael* (93)
Sacks: Miller, Darius Nall (8.5 each)
Interceptions: Reggie Weams (five)
1. Brynn Harvey is back. Harvey looked like his old self in the spring, returning after a knee injury cost him all of 2010. His addition gives UCF a loaded backfield with Weaver and Latavius Murray also returning, giving the Knights plenty of options.
2. Troy Davis is a player. Davis was impressive in the spring, with five sacks in the spring game, and should help fill the big shoes of the departed Bruce Miller, who left as the school-record holder in sacks. Davis, a rising junior, had 5.5 sacks last season and a big one at the end of the Georgia game, so he has experience. He showed he is more than capable of starting.
3. Godfrey showed improvement. After an outstanding freshman season, Godfrey showed again in the spring why he is the future of the program. He looked poised, and more polished in leading the offense and will only get better as time goes on.
1. Who will emerge as a playmaker at receiver? O’Leary has often said he wants Quincy McDuffie to take it to the next level so the Knights can utilize his vaunted speed. Well now is his chance with Brian Watters, Kamar Aiken and Jamar Newsome gone. Aside from McDuffie, A.J. Guyton will also be counted on as a key contributor.
2. Which linebacker will step up? Three starters are gone, making this a position that could feature a true freshman in Leilon Willingham making some plays. Two players who did well in the spring were not even at their positions at this time last year. Jonathan Davis is a converted running back and Ray Shipman played basketball at Florida before deciding to give football a try.
3. Leadership. UCF lost a great deal of senior leadership with the graduation of players like Miller, Hallman and Reid, who helped lay the foundation for a Top-25 season and first-ever bowl win. Which players will step up and take on that role in 2011?