Suryakumar Yadav has been asked by the Mumbai Cricket Association to show cause for retweeting a post on Twitter that questioned his omission from the team for the Inter-state T20 tournament. The Mumbai batsman has also been asked to appear before the MCA's managing committee on Tuesday. As a result, Suryakumar's selection in the Mumbai squad for the Vijay Hazare Trophy inter-state one-day tournament has been withheld pending the committee's decision
"Players are not allowed to comment on selection on social media," MCA joint-secretary Unmesh Khanvilkar told ESPNcricinfo. "We have a managing committee meeting tomorrow where we will discuss what to do. We have called him [to appear before the committee] and have also sought a written explanation. Yesterday, I told him to give the written explanation within 24 hours so he can do that today. The committee will review his written explanation and then we will think what is to be done."
Khanvilkar pointed out that Suryakumar, 26, was let off with a verbal warning last year when he had tweeted expressing his displeasure at opener Jay Bista being dropped for Mumbai's semi-final game against Madhya Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy. "There are only 14 players we have picked [so far]," Khanvilkar said. "Cricket-wise, there is no problem. He is a good player. Just because of the disciplinary issue, we have withheld his selection, so whatever decision is taken in the managing committee, accordingly we will choose the 15."
Suryakumar has been involved in a few controversies over the last few years. He quit as Mumbai captain midway through an underwhelming 2014-15 season. He was also at that point reprimanded by MCA officials after some players complained against him for using abusive language on the field and in the dressing room.