<
>

Lawyer representing Junior Galette accuser asks to withdraw from lawsuit

The lawyer representing the woman suing New Orleans Saints linebacker Junior Galette for alleged abuse has filed a motion to withdraw from the case.

As first reported by the New Orleans Advocate, attorney Joseph Raspanti said in the motion filed last Friday that his client has been “uncooperative and inaccessible,” though he said her case “has merit” and she has indicated she would work with a new lawyer. Raspanti declined to comment further, saying his explanation was contained in the motion.

Galette is no longer facing any criminal charges after the Kenner, Louisiana, city attorney’s office dismissed a domestic violence charge against him last month. The woman had accused Galette and an acquaintance of injuring her while trying to forcibly remove her from Galette’s home in January. But charges were dropped following interviews with five people who were present in Galette’s home at the time of the incident.

The woman also filed a civil suit against Galette alleging three years of physical, sexual and mental abuse, though she did not file a complaint to the police with those accusations.

Galette has repeatedly denied the allegations through his attorney, Ralph Whalen, who countered the civil suit by claiming the case should be dismissed if the accuser couldn’t provide any precise dates, times or places for some of the alleged conduct.