<
>

Nick Mangold says 'stupidity' caused setback with injured ankle

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There have been rumblings at One Jets Drive about Nick Mangold and the severity of his ankle injury, which already has kept him out of two games. He missed only four games in his first 10 seasons, so, yeah, the concern level has been rising.

Will he play again this season?

Speaking to reporters for the first time since the injury, Mangold said Thursday that he suffered a setback last week. He was out of his walking boot, preparing to return to practice, but he apparently pushed too hard in his rehab.

Now he's back in the walking boot, still not practicing, poised to miss his third straight game. He's also dealing with some knee soreness.

"It was part of my own stupidity," Mangold said. "I was trying to do too much, too soon. I'm not very good at listening to doctors. I hear what they say, but I'm just not good at listening."

Mangold said he expects to play again this season. The Jets have a bye next week, so the logical target for a return is Nov. 27 against the New England Patriots. That would give him five weeks of healing. If he's not back by then, it's really time to worry.

Always a quick healer, Mangold admitted this has been frustrating.

"That's what has been difficult," he said. "I've always trended in the right direction. As soon as I'd get injured, the next day was the worst I felt, then I always got better. To go backward has been difficult. ... It is getting better, slowly but surely."

Mangold is 32, with a $9.1 million cap charge in 2017, the final year of his contract, so there's no guarantee he will be back.