Unceremoniously released by the New York Jets last month, David Harris was unemployed for two weeks before the New England Patriots came calling. Once they did, it was a no-brainer. There was no hesitation in joining the team he loved to hate for a decade.
"They reached out to me and I pretty much accepted on the spot that I wanted to play there," Harris told woodtv.com Saturday. "Great organization. They're the gold standard of the NFL. Why wouldn't you want to be part of that?"
These were Harris' first public comments since being cut June 6 by the Jets. The linebacker, who has declined interview requests, spoke to the TV station at his hometown football camp in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Harris, 33, the Jets' second all-time leading tackler, was a defensive stalwart from 2007 to '16. His ouster came as a surprise, considering it happened only a week before minicamp. Former teammate Brandon Marshall said in a radio interview last week that it was "bad business" by the Jets to cut Harris so late in the offseason.
On June 21, he signed a two-year contract with the Patriots.