Rapid Reaction: St. John's 91, Marquette 90

Some quick thoughts on St. John's 91-90 double-overtime win over Marquette on Saturday at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee:

What it means: St. John's still has a chance of securing an NCAA tournament at-large bid. Somehow.

The Red Storm appeared to have this game won in regulation (see below), but needed 10 extra minutes to finish the job. Regardless, it's a huge victory, in a very tough place to win.

St. John's finishes the regular season 20-11 overall, and 10-8 in the Big East -- tied for third with Xavier and Providence. However, the Red Storm are the No. 5 seed in the Big East tournament due to tiebreakers.

Marquette finishes the regular season 17-14 overall, and 9-9 in the Big East, in sixth place.

The turning point: After trailing early, St. John's led by as many as eight in the first half, 21-13, on a Rysheed Jordan jumper with 10:58 remaining. But Marquette snatched the lead back in the final seconds -- Chris Obekpa turned the ball over and Jake Thomas buried a 3-pointer at the buzzer, giving the Golden Eagles a 36-35 lead at the break.

St. John's led 72-66 with 11.4 seconds left in regulation, when things went off the rails. Davante Gardner made a pair of free throws, Jordan threw the inbounds pass away, and Thomas laid the ball in to make it 72-70. Orlando Sanchez was fouled with 8.9 seconds to play, missed the front end of a 1-and-1, and Todd Mayo drained a floater at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.

Marquette had a chance to win the game at the end of the first overtime, with the game tied at 81. But Jordan stripped Mayo of the ball as he attempted a potential game-winning jumper.

In the second overtime, Jordan hit one of two free throws to put St. John's in front, 91-90, with 19.5 seconds remaining. Following a timeout, Derrick Wilson had a wide-open two-point look from the left corner, but it was off the mark.

Star watch: Three St. John's players had 20 points apiece -- Jordan, Jakarr Sampson and D'Angelo Harrison. Jordan was in the middle of everything, for better and for worse, but made many more good plays than bad ones. Sampson made several key perimeter jumpers. And Harrison made arguably the biggest shot of the game -- a deep 3-pointer with 57 seconds left in double OT that tied the game at 90, before which St. John's looked in deep trouble.

Gardner scored a team-high 21 points for Marquette, and Mayo added 20.

Number crunch: St. John's shot well from the field (34-for-67, 50.7 percent), and very well from beyond the arc (7-for-13, 53.8 percent). But the Red Storm were awful from the foul line -- 16-for-30 -- and it almost cost them dearly.

What's next: St. John's gets a bye into the Big East quarterfinals, and will play No. 4 seed Providence on Thursday at 2:30 p.m.

St. John's needs to beat Providence in order to have a realistic chance at an at-large bid. The Red Storm may have to win a semifinal game as well, which would most likely be against top seed Villanova.