ALBANY, N.Y. -- Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is scheduled to go through his first practice on Monday.
"Monday, I think they’re going to let him go," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "You have to go through the acclimation period."
Nicks was taken off the PUP list on Monday and will be brought along slowly but is expected to be ready for the season opener. He underwent toe surgery back in late May.
The Nicks nugget was welcome news on a day when some Giants complained about their small beds leading to back injuries, the team lost Shaun Rogers for the season and Marvin Austin was in Manhattan getting his back checked out.
Coughlin did manage to crack a joke about the mattress issue. When asked how his bed is here in Albany, Coughlin joked, "I don’t know. My rear end is bothering me, but it’s not from that."
It was also the team's final practice in Albany as the team moves training camp back to its home in East Rutherford. Here were some highlights from practice:
• Ramses Barden (ankle) sat out practice. Coughlin did not specify whether Barden was having problems with his surgically-repaired ankle.
"He’s had that problem with his ankle and foot combination," Coughlin said. "He had a little trouble feeling really strong off of that one foot so they held him today. I hope that’s it."
LB Michael Boley (hamstring), LB Jacquian Williams (hip), DE Justin Trattou (heel), Austin (back), DT Martin Parker (back), CB Michael Coe (hamstring) and PUP list players DT Chris Canty (knee), TE Travis Beckum (knee) and Clint Sintim (knee) also sat out practice.
• Jerrel Jernigan started camp in Albany strong and finished the same way with some impressive catches. He made an over-the-shoulder catch on one sideline play and then also snatched a ball out of the air that was deflected off Rueben Randle's hands across the middle.
Finally, Jernigan added a crowd-pleasing catch on a deep ball on CB Brandon Bing down the left side.
• The Giants worked on some of their Jets scout team. A portion of the practice was done with scout cards so it was hard to really gain much from watching the practice. But we did see QB Ryan Perrilloux tuck the ball and take off, perhaps doing a Tebow impression.
• S Kenny Phillips had the dance of the day. After picking off a pass from Eli Manning intended for Martellus "The Black Unicorn" Bennett over middle in 7 on 7, Phillips celebrated by dancing on the field with Antrel Rolle. Considering all the gyrating going on, it had to be a University of Miami thing between the two former Hurricanes. Phillips, though, looked very good on the interception.
The Unicorn did come back later with a nice catch for what would have been a touchdown. The Giants continue to look his way probably the most out of the tight ends in practice. Although I have seen quite a bit of short balls go toward FB Henry Hynoski in camp as well.
• MLB Mark Herzlich was chasing RB Joe Martinek down on the left sideline and ended up hitting the ground. I'm not sure if he got shoved down or tripped since there was a pack of offensive and defensive players converging on Martinek. But clearly Herzlich wasn't happy about hitting the ground in a non-contact practice. As backup C Chris White went to give Herzlich a hand to get up, Herzlich gave White a testy shove. Perhaps it was also a defense-offense thing but it was a good testiness from Herzlich.
• With Boley and Williams out, Keith Rivers worked with the first team alongside Mathias Kiwanuka and Chase Blackburn at linebacker. Second team consisted of Herzlich, Greg Jones and Spencer Paysinger.
The Giants are off on Wednesday before practicing on Thursday and off again on Friday.