Sash was 'suffering' when he couldn't play

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- So what exactly was Tyler Sash doing on Sundays for the last month?

"Suffering," said Sash, who had to miss the Giants' first four games due to a suspension for violating the NFL's performance-enhancing drug policy.

"I'd try to be an encouragement to my teammates, sending them texts, and just trying to stay connected to my teammates and stuff like that, definitely the night before the game. But on Sundays I was sitting at home watching the game and it was tough. I can't just watch a game. I feel like if you're a player, you gotta make all the calls and see what you're doing and make all the adjustments and stuff like that."

The second-year safety/special teamer is eligible to be activated now, and could play in his team's Week 5 matchup against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. Coach Tom Coughlin would not disclose whether he was leaning toward letting Sash make his season debut, telling reporters, "We'll see."

The Giants have until Monday to activate Sash to their 53-man roster and make a corresponding move, but if they want him to play in Sunday's game, they must activate him by Saturday.

"It's great to be back here with my teammates and my coaches, everybody," said Sash, who spent time in both Miami and Iowa during his suspension. "I'm definitely excited to be back. That four weeks seemed like an eternity."

Sash, who returned to practice on Wednesday, said he's preparing like he's going to be activated, but doesn't know if he will be.

When the suspension was announced over the summer, Sash said he had taken Adderall to help him with public speaking this offseason.

"I took a prescription drug (Adderall) legally under a doctor's care for an anxiety condition during the offseason in March of this year," he said in a statement. "The purpose was to help me with public speaking appearances. I had no idea that this prescription drug was banned by NFL policy."

Now he's just glad to have put this whole ordeal behind him.

"When I first found out about it, I got a letter way before it came out," Sash said. "And I went through the appeal process and everything like that, so I've been kind of dealing with this since April. ... (Now I can) just get back to what I love doing, which is playing football.'"