After two straight unsuccessful trips to the State Federation tournament, Boys & Girls is the the best in the state after its win against Mount Vernon. With that win, the Kangaroos end the season as our No. 1 team. Here's the final poll.
1. Boys & Girls (26-6/(LW: 2): Boys & Girls proved that it perhaps flew under the radar early this season, but it clearly ends as the best team in the City, having beaten virtually every team in this top 10 poll on the way to the State Federation crown.
2. St. Raymond (21-10)/(LW: 1): St. Raymond figured to be one of the best teams in the city with a strong senior class and it backed it up by winning the CHSAA title. Next year will be tough with a couple key players gone but there are still quality pieces left.
3. Thomas Jefferson (25-7) /(LW: 3): Jefferson perhaps was the surprise team of the season as it went from the fourth-best team in Brooklyn to just a few shots away from winning the PSAL title. The Orange Wave should be good again next year.
4. Holy Cross (24-5)/(LW: 4): Holy Cross didn't make much noise in the preseason but showed that it belonged with anybody by winning the Brooklyn/Queens title. The loss of a few key seniors could slow it down next season.
5. Cardinal Hayes (24-5)/(LW: 5): Cardinal Hayes has established itself as one of the top programs in New York City, but will have to deal with a large group of seniors graduating. There is talent in the backcourt, though.
6. Mount (21-8)/(LW: 6): Mount was another team that flew under the radar only to make lots of noise in the postseason. Like other teams on this list, the question is going to be how can it respond next season with the loss of key seniors.
7. Christ the King (19-8)/(LW: 7): Christ the King fell short in its quest for a third straight title this season but will be right back in the mix next year. A strong and talented backcourt will complement a frontcourt that has some size.
8. Wings (26-4)/(LW: 8): Wings has been so close to getting to the PSAL final but has fallen short in the semifinal the last two years. It will have some young pieces next year and could be in for another good year.
9. Lincoln (19-10)/(LW: 9): This year was a disappointment for Lincoln but the Coney Island school will be right back at it next season. A strong backcourt will keep Lincoln near the top of this poll all season.
10. South Shore (18-10)/(LW: 10): South Shore has to look at this season as disappointing considering its expectations, but it should be strong again next year. Of course, playing in Brooklyn AA is never an easy task for any school.