Rapid Reaction: Bruins 3, Rangers 2 (OT)

What it means: Boston's Brad Marchand scored 15:40 into overtime as the Bruins took Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Bruins dominated the overtime period in their 3-2 win over the New York Rangers, hitting a post and a crossbar before Marchand's winner. Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist was stellar in preserving the tie under tremendous pressure, but he gave up the deciding goal on the Bruins' late rush that had Patrice Bergeron set up Marchand for the win.

Tie game: After a goal in the waning seconds of the middle frame, the Rangers added another quick score with Derek Stepan’s third goal of the playoffs 14 seconds into the third. The Bruins erased the Rangers’ lead minutes later with recently-recalled defenseman Torey Krug’s shot from the left point, a power-play goal in his NHL playoffs debut. With the score tied 2-2, the Bruins had a few great chances on a power-play late in the period, but Lundqvist delivered a couple of big stops, while defenseman Dan Girardi also came up with a crucial shot block on the penalty kill. Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk hit the post with less than a second left.

Last-ditch effort: Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh capitalized on Tyler Seguin’s turnover, unleashing a blast from the left point that beat Tuukka Rask and knotted the score at 1 with just 1.3 seconds left in the second period. Center Derick Brassard earned an assist on the play; he now has 10 points in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Trickle through: Lundqvist barely recovered in time after losing track of Dougie Hamilton’s drive in the first period, and he got burned when the same happened with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara at 12:23 of the second. Lundqvist couldn’t handle the shot and allowed the puck to trickle through before inadvertently knocking it in himself, ending his shutout streak at 152:23.

Scary sight: Boston defenseman Johnny Boychuk appeared down for the count after absorbing an awkward hit from Taylor Pyatt that sandwiched his head into the glass in the second period. Boychuk returned soon after, however, a relief to the Bruins considering the injuries sustained on their blue line.

Getting an ear-ful: Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto went down late in the first period after taking a puck to the left ear on Patrice Bergeron’s deflected shot. Del Zotto, who hit the crossbar midway through the first for the Rangers’ best scoring chance of the period, was able to skate off on his own but he headed straight for the trainer’s room. Del Zotto returned to start the second period, showing no ill effects after the intermission.

Banged-up blue line: The Bruins were without three veterans on their back end to start the series -- Dennis Seidenberg (lower-body), Andrew Ference (lower-body) and Wade Redden (undisclosed) -- as Boston deployed three youngsters on its blue line instead. Hamilton, Krug and Matt Bartkowski drew into the Bruins' lineup to replace the injured trio.

Up Next: Game 2, Rangers at Bruins, Sunday at 3 p.m.