FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For the third straight day, Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes ducked out on media interview requests at the team’s mandatory minicamp. The move is in violation of the league’s access policy, which stipulates that players are available for all three days.
“We will discuss the situation with the Jets and remind Santonio of his obligations,” NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello said.
Holmes took part in individual drills, but with a hamstring injury sustained on the final OTA of the season a week ago, did not take part in any team drills for the third straight day.
Last week Holmes was frustrated with the number of reps he got a week after returning from a trip to Germany, where he visited an Air Force base. Holmes tossed his helmet to the ground in apparent frustration, spoke with a trainer and then talked to wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal.
“I was talking to the coach, letting him understand it was too many reps today," Holmes said last Thursday. "I've been gone for a while, so I can't be at full tempo like the rest of the guys and where they want us to be at.”
Apparently Holmes didn’t like the fallout, because he hasn’t spoken since.
Last season, the wide receiver walked off the field with two minutes left to play of a winnable game in Miami. Offensive lineman Wayne Hunter called Holmes out on his attitude during that final game, and it nearly erupted in a fight in the huddle.
One unnamed teammate called him a locker room “cancer,” and another questioned whether he could remain on a team with quarterback Mark Sanchez.
But the Jets extended Sanchez early in the offseason, and by not cutting Holmes triggered a $7.5 million guarantee in his contract. Holmes came back this season and said he has changed, that he has put all of what happened last year behind him.