When GM John Idzik was hired two months ago, the Jets were close to $30 million over the 2013 salary cap. Now, according to the latest figures, they're $13 million under the cap.
It has been a painful process. They cut several players, restructured two big contracts and watched as five starters walked out the door in free agency. At the same time, Idzik added five relatively inexpensive free agents.
As a result, the team's salary structure isn't as top-heavy as it was before. In mid-February, the top-10 cap figures accounted for about $105 million of the $123 million cap. That figure is down to $78.1 million. Here's the top 10:
1. LB David Harris: $13 million
2. QB Mark Sanchez: $12.9 million
3. LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson: $10.7 million
4. C Nick Mangold: $9.1 million
5. CB Darrelle Revis: $9 million
6. WR Santonio Holmes: $9 million
7. CB Antonio Cromartie: $6.5 million
8. LB Calvin Pace: $3 million*
9. QB Tim Tebow: $2.6 million
10. NT Sione Po'uha: $2.3 million*
* No longer on the roster; this is a "dead" money charge.